Sub-total - shorter recovery time ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sub-total - shorter recovery time ?? Sub-total - shorter recovery time ??

Unread 05-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Sub-total - shorter recovery time ??

Feel like I am forever asking questions here - sorry heres another.

After being told initally I was down for a TAH (leaving ovaries), Dr decided (with me) that she would leave my cervix if this looked healthy - apparently it did so it was left along with the ovaries. When I went to see her on Monday she told me that hopefully my recovery would be a bit quicker than if I had had a TAH and also that she would look again at the issue of intercourse at my 4 week check as, as I still had my cervix she may be able top give me the all clear at this stage. Wonder if anyone here has heard off the recovery rate being quicker for SAH and also have been griven the green light earlier.

Thanks

Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2006, 04:05 PM

I had a TAH so I don't know the answer to this, but I would be curious to know. With an SAH I am assuming there isn't a vaginal cuff (but I certainly could be wrong) and maybe there is less to heal?
Unread 05-18-2006, 04:28 PM

i had a sah but i had to wait 6 weeks to have sex but all doctors are diffrent i guess. im doing well but i still get the swelly..my doc told me recovery is a little quicker but its still a major surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2006, 05:44 PM

My surgeon also felt an SAH has a quicker recovery, and data from the New England Journal of Medicine study (2000) supports him. After a year, recovery is the same, but after 6 weeks (if I remember correctly; I don't have the study in front of me), SAH patients feel better. It is a simpler surgery, according to my surgeon, with shorter average hospital time, less chance of major infection, and less chance of problems with the vagina, for obvious reasons. There are drawbacks, of course--more chance of problems with the cervix in the future, but I was happy to take that risk. My surgeon also released me for everything at 4 weeks. I still get a swollen belly.
Unread 05-18-2006, 10:29 PM

I wasn't aware that it made a difference. I wound up having a SAH instead of TAH, and my doctor has said to wait 6 weeks before resuming sex or doing any lifting heavier than 10 pounds. And I know that she moved stuff around in there because I still feel gut-punched!
Unread 05-19-2006, 12:10 AM

I had a SAH. The recovery is supposed to be quicker but I didn't feel that way. It is still major surgery. My hospital stay was 5 days. My ob/gyn cleared me for all activity at 4 weeks and told me I didn't need to see him again. My reg. MD said "no way." I wasn't to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs. for at least 8 weeks. He also did not want me to return to work at 4 weeks. We compromised and I went back after 6 weeks and worked half days for two weeks. I was really glad I listened to him. I was exhausted when I went back. I was in very good physical shape prior to surgery so I'm assuming my surgeon felt I'd snap right back. I did well but I think you would be better off being more conservative in your expectations.
Unread 05-19-2006, 12:00 PM

Thanks for your thought on this - IO did stay in hospital for 5 days and I have been told back to work at 6 weeks plus would be advisable. She also told me no heavy lifting for the 6 weeks still although I can start doing a bit more round the house (within set boundaries)- the thing that surprised me most was that she said after 4 weeks she may be able to give the green light for intercourse - you are probably right though RoxieMarie - maybe the fact that there is no vaginal cuff makes things hurry along down there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register