granny panties versus support panties???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

granny panties versus support panties???? granny panties versus support panties????

Unread 05-11-2005, 08:56 PM
granny panties virus support panties????

I have been wearing granny panties for a week+ now, but am beginning to think the more I move around the support panties might help?????
Or is this a bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2005, 09:03 PM
granny panties versus support panties????

I started wearing the support panties after about two weeks, and felt a lot better. Just make sure that if you had an abdominal incision, that the seam on the panties does not come across. I imagine that it can really irritate. My surgery was 2/7/05, and I still wear them if I'm going to be on my feet a lot. It seems to help me with the swelly belly. (I had one before the surgery, but it does make me look a little better. )

Janet
Unread 05-11-2005, 09:04 PM

I found the granny panties worked nice. When I tried putting support hose on it really hurt and was very uncomfortable after about a hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2005, 09:06 PM

Fortunately, I had LAVH so no external incision but I've been living in my granny panties and bike shorts. The bike shorts are a size or two too big but I like the lycra support. So maybe the support panties if they aren't too tight?
Unread 05-11-2005, 09:44 PM

I've been wearing some quite firm cotton hipsters and I find they hold me in nicely. I have a 10 inch horizontal scar which goes literally from hip to hip. It's nice to have some undies on that feel firm, but not too tight.

I've also got some tape (the brand here in NZ is called Micropore) that plastic surgeons use, and have taped it right across my incision from hip to hip, then put some other pieces that go vertically across it. Apparently taping the incision helps the two edges stay together, and reduces scarring.

Just thought I would share that tip in case anyone else is interested! I had my stitch out three days ago - it was just one long running stitch (sub cutaneous) and so far the scar looks very tidy and neat. I am hoping the tape will help keep it like that!

Cheers all!!
Unread 05-12-2005, 05:11 AM

I'm three weeks out and still cannot bear to have anything pressing against my abdomen. I think it is a matter of preference. Buy one pair of support panties and if they bother you, go back to grannies.
Unread 05-12-2005, 06:01 AM

Hi!

So soon after surgery, I think I would have found support panties too difficult to get on. At 5 weeks, I don't think I'd want to struggle with them now either!

I'm wearing waist-high panties and find they keep my belly still enough to stop it wobbling(!) which feels really uncomfortable. When I take them off, I don't half notice a difference!

Unread 05-12-2005, 01:28 PM

I'm 3 and a half weeks post op. My belly needs support because when I walk, it bounces and hurts. I bought Cupid firm control panties at Wal Mart. They run small, so I bought 2 sizes larger than usual. They are somewhat tight but feel good to me.

-- Sammy
Unread 05-12-2005, 04:04 PM

I was given a spandex hip supporter in the hospital that I used religously once I got home. It really helped once I got home and started to move around. For me, it kept everything supported and I had an easier time moving. I used that continuously throughout the first 6 weeks. Once I was back at work, I used support panties. I am 5 months post op and still using the support panties. I still have major swelly belly and the support panties really help with that.

Songtch
SAH/12-23-04/kept ovaries and cervix/age 45

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register