Any 1 weekers out there?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any 1 weekers out there?? Any 1 weekers out there??

Unread 03-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Any 1 weekers out there??

Geez, I am so glad I found this sight. And..yes, it looks like sitting at the keyboard may be the cure for boredom or insanity right now. My LSH was March 9th. They took it all out after finding a cyst on my ovary, my uterus was twice its normal size and my cervix was falling. I had originally planned to keep the cervix I also had the incontinence issue taken care of with the sling and some kind of tape. (Knowledge is power, right?) I am 49 with 2 teenagers so my mom had been taking care of me. Bless her! She is cleaning, doing laundry, and cooking. I feel pretty good but have to be reminded of the shock my system is in plus all the healing going on inside. When does the swelly belly go away? I wish I had done more research on what to expect before I had my surgery but I just figured, I would have surgery and go back to work in 2 weeks. I am on Estratest and Dulcolace 2x a day. So that hasn't been a problem. I do have headaches but the meds seem to help that. I figured it was from laying around all the time. I was anemic before surgery and lost a lost of blood then but no transfusion so the light headedness should be gone soon. Thanks for listening...and by the way bball should help the boredom too...cheer for my Louisville Cardinals tomorrow night. Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2005, 04:27 PM

I had a TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy-Cervix and Uterus Only) on March 9th I am 24yrs old. I also had Bladder surgery because I suffer from SEVERE Adhesive disease and when they opened me up my uterus was cemented to my bladder both doctors said it was one of the worst cases they have ever seen and in order to get them apart they had to cut my bladder. All this in 7 months of having a Laprascopic Surgery last june to remove severe adhesive disease from my bladder, uterus and abdominal wall and after they put tons of InterSeed inside it still came back 100 times worse. They also found a gall stone floating around that was left behind from my gall bladder removal in December LOL! I was in the hospital 5 days total the day I was discharged from the hospital they went to take out my staples after removing only two my incision came back open so I had to wait until Tuesday to have the rest removed I only had 24 staples they just used my c-section scar from having both my kids to do the entire surgery. I had to have a Catheter in for 7 days due to the bladder surgery I was hating life I got that out yesterday (March 16th) I am feeling more like myself now that I don't have to carry a bag full of urine around. I am not allowed to let my bladder get full because I could bust my stitches today I woke up very sore, but I am trying so hard to stay away from the narcotic pain meds. I was on Morphine PAC the first 2 days of my hospital stay and for the other 3 days I was on 2 Percocets every 4 hours. Once I was home I was still on 2 Percocets every 4-6 hours but in the past 3 days after I have only had 6 Percocets, and trying real hard to just deal with the pain. I haven't been lifting but have been doing a lot of stairs as I have no choice my bedroom is upstairs. I had some help for 2 days but felt I am fine on my own. I am feeling good aside from the abdominal pain (which is to be expected after all the work I had done) I just make sure to make myself relax when it gets too bad. I am able to sleep somewhat on my stomach and getting up out of bed or from sitting down is much easier (but I have also had practice), I haven't really been able to eat much because my IBS doesn't like anything I am eating or drinking including water but I am glad the surgery is behind me though and thank goodness those parts don't grow back! ((((Big HUGS to all you ladies))))
Unread 03-17-2005, 05:17 PM
one week and a half

hello, i had abdominal hysterectomy, removal of uterus only march 7th. everything has gone as expected, however noone told me about the terrible gas pains!!. I do know that Percocet causes constipation, so trying to stay away from those. just wanted to note the importance of resting for at least 6 weeks. i have a friend who went back to work full time after 3 weeks and now is having problems such as pain whenever she sits. so she is stading at work all day. her doctor has prescribed TOTAL bed rest now. this website is a trememdous help for info and talking to others who have been there.

hope everyone is having a day that is better than yesterday!

chele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2005, 05:35 PM

Chele,

Thanks for expressing the importance of rest, I felt good yesterday being I was only 7 days post-op but I am sore today and actually hurting and barely able to walk. But I do know what it is like to feel great and then over do yourself too soon and end up needing to go back to total rest mode.
Unread 03-17-2005, 06:54 PM

I'm 7 days out - TAH/BSO for suspected uterine cancer on 3/10. Surgery was a little longer than expected due to right ovary being attached to abdominal wall. I had a spinal and a general, so as a result they put my morphine into my spinal and I had no pump in my room. 48 hours from checking into the hospital I went home - arrived at 10am on Thu, left at 10am on Sat. Very little pain to speak of, the nurse had my up and standing next to my bed at 3am Friday morning, by noon the next day my catheter was out and I was walking to the bathroom, slowly but fairly easily. Sat morning I took a shower, had my staples removed and went home. Have been taking 2 stool softeners each evening, along with gas-x for pain. In addition, lots of water and I walked around the house a bit each day. First real BM day 5, but had small ones on day 3 and 4. Today is my first day without Vicodin, doing extremely well on Advil only. All and all, I'm very pleased with my recovery - it is no where near as bad as I had thought it would be. I'm still spending a fair amount of time in bed, as I know it's really easy to overdue.

Oh, and my pathology came back - cancer, stage 1 - no further treatment needed. Glad we caught it early!!!
Unread 03-17-2005, 07:47 PM
any 1 weekers?

I had my surgery laprascopic - uterus and both ovaries on March 8. I also had problems with anemia and constipation. I haven't had to take pain medication since Sunday but I do feel tired and weak. Just taking a shower is energy-draining.
I am so glad I found this site. It helps with the recovery to share my experience and the experiences of others. Here's hoping you all have a quick recovery and are back into the swing of things shortly. Many people who have had hysterectomies have told me it was the best thing they ever did. I am concerned with future problems with incontinence and the use of hormones.
Thanks for letting me share. This helps in the healing process.
Unread 03-17-2005, 09:10 PM
I'm a week an a day in post-op

I also had LAV (I hope that's right/hyster through 3 incisions in my tumy) on the 9th. He also tacked my bladder. I went in knowing I had 2 very large fibroids. Had been on Lupron 3 months before. He said surgery went welll but it was more complicated then expected. I also had very bad endometriosis and severe adenomyosis.
Today is the 8th day and I'm still slow. Some pain - when I sit up too long and my left side is mostly tender. My biggest nightmare - I got SEVERE thrush of the mouth the day I was released from the Hospital. (6 days after surgery. I have never been so miserable in my life. After three days I finally got down some soup.
Have had no problems at all with BM's. Looking forward to next week and some energy. I'm also on Vio .075. My dr told me cut them in half and only use half each time. Does anyone else cut theirs?
Unread 03-17-2005, 09:44 PM

Hey everyone, I too am a 1 weeker. I am 35 and had a LAVH for endometriosis on the 9th. My bladder was covered in endo and I had various adhesions glueing all my lefties to my righties.I am doing really well and only had 2 small incisions in my belly with only 1 stitch each! I am wrapped!! I was out of hospital on day 2 and I have been off pain meds now since day 3 and I found drinking heaps of water and peppermint tea helped with the wind pains and helped things start moving if you know what I mean. I am really looking forward to the day when my life will not have to revolve around the " comings and goings " of my body! Keep your spirits high as things only get better from here.

Cheers from Australia
Unread 03-18-2005, 07:42 AM

fletcher,

Yes, I also tried cutting my pain pills in half (first percocet then vicodin) but I still got horrible headaches from them. Have resolved to 800mg advil. Might try a vicodin again as the late afternoon gets very painful. Maybe the headaches were also related to the anesthsia etc. but they always came as the pain med was wearing off so I still think its the narcotics.
Funny how all our bodies react differently.

BarbNJ
Unread 03-18-2005, 07:45 AM

Sorry, I misread fletchers post. (and I can't even blame it on narcotics!!!)

I thought she was referring to cutting pills in half, but she was referring to cutting a hormone patch in half. Haven't tried that. I am on the Vivelle Dot .05 and so far so good.

BarbNJ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register