well meaning friends - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

well meaning friends well meaning friends

Unread 11-13-2005, 11:44 PM
well meaning friends

I have a 15-month-old and a 2-year-old. I lined up six weeks of babysitting for my recovery period. These were all friends that I asked to do a few days each.

90% of them cancelled, mostly the night before. Everyone was just too busy. Their lives are too full and they couldn't pull off a promise they made a month ago. I called 28 women and teenage girls. Not even the teens would show up. They too would say yes, and then cancel at the last minute. And I pay double the going rate and have been blessed with extremely well behaved kids.

My poor husband took so much leave during the last 9 months. I'm surprised his boss hasn't fired him. All because I couldn't get sitters.

You know who came through and babysat my kids while I recovered from my TAH? Strangers from my church. These were ladies from the womens' ministry that I'd never heard of, much less met. You know, the ones who clean the church kitchen, organize the retreats, work in the nursery. Every church has them.

Their kids were all grown and they hadn't changed a diaper in ages. They hadn't seen the new toys, plastic highchairs, pullups...

They came because each of them remembered how much help they once needed when they had surgery and little kids. Most had had cancer. Some had had a hysterectory. So once a week for four weeks, they came to a my house to take care of fussy kids who were having food allergy reactions.

How do I thank these ladies? None of them would take money. I plan to make them a nice meal once I'm up to it. Any other ideas? What words do you use on a thank you card to tell them how much their help meant to my husband and I? They helped when our friends and family didn't. They saved our bacon.

When I'm better I plan to get on the church list so I'll be there to help some stranger who needs meals and daycare during their surgeries.

Hang in there ladies. I understand your frustration and hurt. Hopefully we'll be like those strangers who were such a blessing to me.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2005, 01:57 AM
well meaning friends

Adeno,
Wow what a blessing those ladies were! You're right...every church has these ladies (and men) who have big hearts. Their deeds match their words unlike the other people you mentioned.

I think having the ladies over for a nice meal is a very nice idea..If you do any crafts perhaps a nice homemade gift. Or...maybe since they won't take money, donate it in their name-- either to your church or perhaps to Hurricaine Katrina or ect. What ever you do I'm sure they know how much you appreciate them.

How frustrating it is when people say they will do something and then don't. I would be better to not volunteer at all...then at least you wouldn't count on them. I've been in that place so many times and it is very frustrating.

I'll keep you in my prayers and wish you all the best

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register