hi question about ert | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hi question about ert hi question about ert

Unread 08-01-2009, 06:08 PM
hi question about ert

I'm Becky 35 yrs, I had a TAH with BSO (laparoscopy) earlier last month. I decided at first not to take ERT, due to the fact that breast cancer and other cancers run in my family. Everyone I know says, "don't take it bad side effects." So I don't know what to do! It's three weeks after my surgery, I'm already experiencing what I believe to be symptoms of menopause (started a week after my surgery). I'm getting the feelings of being hot for a while, then sudden chills for no reason. (which are manageable for now) I'm also having the mood changes, no appetite, fatigue, and feeling depressed. Am I making a mistake by not taking ERT? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Re: hi question about er

I honestly don't know what to tell you. I too am experiencing what you are occasionally. Some days are better than others. I went in for prolapse and on the pathology report it should stage one uterine cancer. The Dr. put me on a very low dose of Premarin cream. I used it daily for a week and now I am to use it once to twice a week. Dr. told me that it would help with the vaginal healing. I had A/P repairs as well. I think that you should talk to your Dr. about your concerns. Some of my friends take an anti-depressant to help with the hot flashes, etc. as they don't want to take the HRT's due to the fact that they have had breast cancer. They say that they help.
Unread 08-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Re: hi question about er

thanks kathy for the reply. My doctor found fibroids and I have a history of endometriosis. I wasn't aware that anti-depressants help with hot flashes. My next appointment, I will discuss with my doctor about my worries about ert. Maybe I can make a decision then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Re: hi question about ert

i too have cancer in my family history so Dr said no HRT for me. I have also experienced the mini hot flashes with getting cold right after, even during the night. I feel tired and sort of "out of it" a little. It will be 3 weeks post op for me on Monday. I feel over all pretty good, just different. I am not worried about any effects thus far, its too early to tell . So far things are not too bad and I am not worried, if it stays like this, I can lick it. I just want to do my yoga again, GRRR! Anyhting is doable with my yoga! I wouldn't worry abt hormones yet, but yes, My Dr said Effexor can help with hot flashes, moodswings ect... I want to wait a bit and see how bad they get first, don't want to lose my sex drive, sometimes SNRI or SSRI's have sexual side effects. I want to see how the plumbing works first before I go and add another variable. Try to hang in there if it isnt too bad. I'm gonna give it 3 months before making a descision on the Effexor. Best of luck!
Unread 08-02-2009, 06:54 PM

Hi Becky! Have you checked out the American Cancer Society website? They have much information aobut HRT and ERT there. Below is a short statement from their website (and who would know more about cancer than them?):

A separate part of the Women's Health Initiative (WHI), looked at women who had had a hysterectomy, and whose ovaries were either removed or had stopped working. Those who were taking only estrogens did not have an increased risk of breast cancer.

I am not trying to change your thoughts about ERT, but just thought you may want to read what their research has shown. My mother battled breast cancer, so I was skeptical about the ERT that my doctor had prescribed until I checked this out. You have to work with your doctor and make the best decision for yourself. Best of luck to you.
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:36 PM

Becky - talk to your doctor and get what is right for you. I'm battling this right now and have 4 different medical professionals helping me (one being a Gyno/oncologist). Our opinions won't ultimately matter because we don't know your medical details.
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:51 PM

I am using a low dose of ERT. It's something new, called Evamist. It is a spray that is applied once a day on the forearm. It is delivered directly to the bloodstream and is not filtered through the liver. I started using this just before my TVH due to hot flashes, anxiety. I can apply up to 3 sprays a day, depending on symptoms. One applicator delivers up to 56 measured doses. It is helping. Good Luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register