Scheduled LAVH eppidural | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-15-2011, 06:03 AM
eppidural

Hi Ladies,
Im getting a bit neverous now my op is on the
31st july 2011, im just wondering if i have to have
an eppidural befor my op ? I dont really want one
because i had one with my first child 25yrs ago
ive suffered from migraines ever since..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Re: eppidural

They gave me a choice and of course, I opted to be completely out, I too had epidurals for the births of my children and they wore off, didn't want to take that chance again!!!! Good luck with your surgery, it'll b over before u know it.
Unread 06-15-2011, 08:48 AM

You'll have to ask your doctor. I just had general anesthesia. Some doctors (most?) use general anesthesia only. Some use an epidural plus general, and some use an epidural plus sedatives to make you "sleepy" and less aware of what is happening. I suspect that the last combination is most common when the patient is known to have problems with general anesthesia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2011, 08:51 AM

Hi Dana322, Thank you for your reply! In know I have to be put out thank god. You have just gave me a peace of mind knowing I want have it! Thanks so much
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:07 AM

Thanks keepscat, That is most helpful! Suppose ill have to wait and see on the day. Thanks
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan14 View Post
Hi Ladies,

Hi sweety, just had my surgery on june 1 and I had a spinal and general, I thought it was going to be only the spinal with sedation but because my surgery was gonna take a long while they did both. I was able to move my legs and feet right in the recovery room and thank God they did the general too if that means the spinal wore off. I was ok but because of the spinal blood pressure did drop to 77 over 48 while I was in the hospital but doc did warn me before so I wasn't scared. Talk to your doc and to the anesthesiologist (they are bonafide doctors you know). I am sure they can put your mind at ease.

Good luck and hugs,
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Hi Ladies,

Hello:
I had an abdominal myomectomy in January and did not know I was getting an epidural until I got on the operating table. I started freaking out because I have had back problems every since I had all 3 epidurals with my kids. The anesthesiologist gave me something and I do not remember him poking me or anything. I am having a LAVH on Monday but not sure what they are going to give me. I had no complications from it which was good, some back pain from time to time but not anything to be alarmed about. I may have even gotten a spinal block but I cannot remember now since they knocked me out. I hated not being able to walk and the paralyzed feeling but once it wore off I was fine.
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
...Suppose ill have to wait and see on the day. Thanks
Susan, you might want to call your doctor now and express your concerns. As much as some doctors prefer passive patients, this isn't the time to be passive. You are the customer and it is your body, after all. Let them know what YOU want and get things in place in advance to do it that way. That way there's no reason for last minute if-we'd-known-in-advance excuses. Just before the surgery, you'll probably see the anesthesiologist. That's another point where you should verify what will happen and remind him/her that you absolutely do not want an epidural.
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Thank you so much ladies your replies have been so help full I will ring my doc tomorrow and have a chat and see what he says! It is def better if I get it sorted before op table. I might stop worrying then. NOT. LOL Thanks once again ladies x
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM

I have had 2 children, and no epidurals for either...however I was told that I could have one with my LAVH, not so much for the surgery itself, but to help control the pain for the first day after...I am sooo glad I did! I was able to get good sleep on the first night because of it. I had no trouble with it, and had a catheter for the first day anyway, so I didn't have to worry about getting up to pee. Once they took it out the next day, when it wore off, they removed the catheter and I could walk to the bathroom, where I had no trouble going!

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register