10 days and getting really anxious | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 days and getting really anxious 10 days and getting really anxious

Unread 01-27-2004, 07:53 PM
10 days and getting really anxious

My surgery is on 2/6/04 and I am really starting to get extremely anxious, thank goodness I am busy at work this week...did any of you have to take anti-anxiety meds before surgery...I have been tossing and turning at night, hubby almost thinks it's funny but he is so very supportive, he says they ought to start the drip now. Am I a wuss, or should I make the call to my Doc for something to calm the nerves???

So thankful I found this site, you all are sooo very supportive and I have gained such insite...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2004, 08:07 PM

Definitely call your doctor! I've read other posts where doctors have prescribed anti-anxiety pills for the night before. You're definitely not a wuss - this is major surgery, and being anxious is just a normal reaction.

Waiting really is the hardest part. Before you know it, you'll be a And it sounds like your DH is going to be very good support for you!

Good luck, and be sure to call your doctor!
Unread 01-27-2004, 08:34 PM

There's no reason you have to deal with the anxiety. I am on medication(Lexapro) plus there are many others than can help calm you. If I had to deal with it on my on I would be a basket case but as it is I'm handling it very well for me. We take meds for every other problem don't be afraid to get some help for this big occasion. My surgery is thursday morning and I'm actually ready to do it and move on. I'll put you in my prayers (the best medicine of all). Take care it'll pass quicker than you think and we'll both be on the other side of it passing on encouragement to those still waiting. Keep that smile a going. :-)
Vickie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2004, 08:47 PM

My problem is that I can't sleep. I wake up at 2 or 3 AM and can't fall back asleep, thinking about all the things I have to get done before I leave work. I also have a student who had a huge crisis and this has been haunting me, even though there is nothing I can do about it. Do you think it would be appropriate for me to ask for sleeping medicine?
Unread 01-27-2004, 08:55 PM

Yes! I think it's important to go in as rested and relaxed as possible. Sometimes we just need a little extra help in letting go of these things (maybe it's the guilt that we feel about putting ourselves first for once). But by all means, call your doctor and discuss it.
Unread 01-28-2004, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies, I think I will try to make it through a few more days, then I may call the Dr. to help me get through the final countdown next week....hate to take anything before surgery, I know I will need it afterwards and would like to keep it to a minimum.

Thanks!!
Unread 01-28-2004, 07:58 AM

Hi, I also was very anxious before my surgery which was 1 year ago I called my Doc and he gave me Xanax worked great not only for the day but it helps at night to sleep one little pill before bed and all your worries are gone lol And in the morning it doesnt give you that hangover feeling. So by all means call your Doc I am sure he/she can help you out. Good Luck and take Care!! Best thing I did was get my hyst done I feel GREAT!!!!!
Unread 01-28-2004, 08:26 AM
You'll Get Through This!

I didn't suffer the same anxiety you seem to be having, but I do remember my doctor's office saying that I could certainly call for some tranquilizers if I got too nervous the few days before the surgery. Is that an option for you?

I was so ill from my bowel prep that I was too miserable to be nervous! (I had to have a colon resection done at the same time as the hysterectomy.)

Hope you can get some rest and peace soon :-)
Unread 01-28-2004, 10:44 AM
2-6-04 too!

Hi butterfly42,

I'm also having my LAVH done on next Friday. I am very anxious and nervous but I'm already taking Lexapro. It does help. Stay busy and think it will be over before we know it. My pre-op is 2-3-04 and i've already got my questions ready. See what your doc says when you go. Good luck and I will thinking about on our big day.

Tammie

LAVH for endo
Unread 01-28-2004, 05:08 PM

If you don't want to do the med thing try a bath with candles and some soft music or anything that will help you relax. I didn't take anything in the days before surgery but the anesthesiologist had ordered me a valium for the morning of surgery which they gave me as soon as I got to the hospital. Thank Goodness!!!

We all deal with the anxiety of surgery differently, this is a major one. I've had alot of different procedures but this was by far the biggest so the nerves were a bit more out of control. Drove my DH , DD and two DS's crazy, they might have wished I did taken something. Call your doc, see what he/she says, you aren't the first one to fell this way, they have seen it before

Good luck, thoughts and prayers are with you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register