What's the deal with these doctors? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What's the deal with these doctors? What's the deal with these doctors?

Unread 03-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Re: What's the deal with these doctors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
You can do a google search regarding returning to work after a daVinci hysterectomy. Here are just two of many I found.
Were those specific to da Vinci hysterectomy or just a general da Vinci surgery? Because I am two and a half weeks post op after da Vinci and am no where near ready for regular activities. I am in very little pain, but when I overdo (which doesn't take much) I hurt and get very tired easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2010, 03:51 PM

I don't want to get into a healthcare in America debate but there is a reason that most of our "sisters" in Europe that I have seen posting here have 5 days inpatient and 12 weeks recovery. I have had 5 abdominal surgeries if you include my C-Section. I don't care what the procedure is surgery is surgery, it's invasive and traumatic to the body and 2 weeks is not enough time to recover and resume business as usual. Please ladies put yourself first now. You won't have the ability to rest later. For those that are temp or contract employees you have to do what you have to do. I have been there. Take it as easy as you possibly can.

You guys be blessed!
Unread 03-24-2010, 03:59 PM

Hystersisters recommends on their site a 2 - 4 week recovery for a Davinci hysterectomy. Interestingly enough, it is the same recovery period for a supracervical laproscopic surgery which is exactly what I had. I could have never returned to work in two weeks - it would have been the worst thing for me personally and I don't know why women would want to risk it. I am in week five of recovery and will not go back to full activity until week six. Many go back at eight weeks just to be on the safe side. Recovery is key for long term success with this surgery. I would rather listen to the women on this website from experience versus the company that is selling the Davinci method.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM

I had LSH kept ovaries. My doctor told me it was still a 4-6 week recovery. I found out she was RIGHT. She said even though there were only 3 small incisions on the outside, the work and healing is the same on the inside.
Unread 03-24-2010, 04:45 PM

I had the DaVinci and took 4 weeks off from work. I recommend the full month. Even though my pain was gone for the most part - I had no energy to speak of. Today is my 6 week mark and I am finally feeling like I have some energy.
I recommend asking for more time up front and then going back early if you feel like it. Better to have more time approved then less.
Unread 03-24-2010, 04:57 PM

I had a daVinci hysterectomy and BSO and lymph nodes removed and was back at work at 3 weeks. I will say that I worked at home the entire first week, went back to the office the second week, decided it was too soon, worked at home the third week, and have been back in the office ever since. The only thing I wasn't ready for was going back to the office at 4 weeks - had I just worked at home the entire time I would have been just fine.
Unread 03-24-2010, 05:05 PM

Let's face it, ladies. The 'professionals' that have written the guidelines are probably men. Sure, from a physical standpoint alone, MAYBE you'd be capable of returning to normal activities in 2-3 weeks; however, a hysterectomy is a very personal and emotional procedure as well. Not only are we dealing with the physical pain and recovery, we are adjusting to our new selves. So much changes with a hysterectomy, and it all needs to be taken into consideration. Bottom line is, if your doctor says you're ready to go back to work, and you truly do not feel that you are, SPEAK UP! Yes, the doctor went to school and has read all the textbooks, but you are the only one who really knows how you're feeling and what you're capable of.
Unread 03-24-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Diva View Post
Let's face it, ladies. The 'professionals' that have written the guidelines are probably men. Sure, from a physical standpoint alone, MAYBE you'd be capable of returning to normal activities in 2-3 weeks; however, a hysterectomy is a very personal and emotional procedure as well. Not only are we dealing with the physical pain and recovery, we are adjusting to our new selves. So much changes with a hysterectomy, and it all needs to be taken into consideration. Bottom line is, if your doctor says you're ready to go back to work, and you truly do not feel that you are, SPEAK UP! Yes, the doctor went to school and has read all the textbooks, but you are the only one who really knows how you're feeling and what you're capable of.
I can't agree more!
Unread 03-24-2010, 05:49 PM

i agree, im 4 wks post lavh and i was off work for a full month and i am only able to work 7 or 8 hrs. my regular work schedule is 4 tens. my stomach started burning near the incision sites and i was so tired i could barely drive home and i have an hour drive to work. wish i could have taken 6 wks but i need a paycheck. short term disability is a hassle and i work in ultrasound at a hospital. they don't care about you, they care about the money theyr'e making.
Unread 03-24-2010, 05:50 PM

I had the Davinci surgery... went back to work part time at 3 weeks. I would recommend taking at least 4 weeks off. I am now almost 6 weeks and am just now getting back enough energy to stay the whole day at work (desk job). I recommend taking more than you need, then if you feel really good, you can go back early or just part time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register