Had DaVinci Radical Hysterectomy, catheter issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had DaVinci Radical Hysterectomy, catheter issues Had DaVinci Radical Hysterectomy, catheter issues

Unread 10-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Had DaVinci Radical Hysterectomy, catheter issues

Hi Sisters!

I had a Radical Hysterectomy for Stage 1 Cervical Cancer on September 18. My Lymph nodes were clear, no further treatment. My recovery has been pretty smooth sailing, I'm able to do everything I need to do for myself, but the only issue I have is the dreaded Foley catheter. I had to wear it home because my bladder only dribbled. We tried it again on the 22, and nothing, *sigh*. I go in for my 2 week check-up tomorrow, and I'm hoping my bladder is ready to go. The nerve endings were really swollen around my bladder (my surgeon did a "nerve sparing" surgery), so that was the reason for it not working. Did anyone else have to wear a catheter for this long? Did your bladder start working right away after removal of the catheter? Would love some feedback, thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Re: Had DaVinci Radical Hysterectomy, catheter issues

I had mine for three weeks after surgery. Was not expecting to come home with one but was told to keep it for two weeks. Then my doctor decided he wanted me to keep if for three instead. Apparently surgery was much harder than he expected. I had a CT cystogram before we tried taking it out. I haven't had any problems since. I'm just supposed to try going every two hours for six weeks. As much as the catheter sucked, I'm actually glad now that I had it for so long since I think it gave my bladder plenty of time to heal.
Unread 10-01-2014, 11:07 AM

Hi Bali, I had my da vincci 5 days ago, left only one ovary and ran dye to check on bladder/ureter function at end of procedure to be sure nothing was damaged. My catheter was out before I woke up and the worst pain I felt at the time was a full bladder pressing on already angry areas. I was able to urinate fairly easily despite the dizziness and nausea from standing up so soon. Someone on another thread said to exhale through a straw if you're having trouble relaxing enough to release those muscles. Don't know the how's or why's of it working but apparently their nurse had suggested it and it worked. Best of luck tomorrow and congratulations on the no further treatment portion, that's fantastic news!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2014, 12:41 PM

Thanks ladies!!
I'm hoping the nerve endings around my bladder have come back into play in order for it to work. I'm getting the feeling back in my pelvic area and whatnot, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Natlay - I guess one more week won't be so bad, if it comes to that. It isn't bothering me or anything, just an annoyance.

Lolamatica - It's more a nerve issue, the muscles are just fine. He took a lot of lymph nodes in that area. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register