TAH 4 wks. post-op cramping/bleeding should I call the doc?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 wks. post-op cramping/bleeding should I call the doc?? 4 wks. post-op cramping/bleeding should I call the doc??

Unread 06-12-2011, 11:32 AM
4 wks. post-op cramping/bleeding should I call the doc??

Hi all, I really need some advice!

I had a TAH on May 18th (kept ovaries but not cervix). I have not bled since surgery except for the first day post-op until Friday.

I have had a very easy recovery, so much that everyone including my mother (she also had a TAH about 15 yrs ago) has complimented me on my progress. With that being said I have also been doing a lot including driving and often forget to take it easy (I have not done heavy lifting, vacuuming, laundry, etc, except for cleaning the cat box { } on Thurs because no one did it when I asked a dozen times).

Friday I started spotting by Saturday I had to wear a pad (not enough to soak but enough to ruin a pair of underwear). By last night I began to have menstrual like cramping, this morning they were so bad they woke me up. I went to the bathroom but they still did not let up.
I have also had sharp pains here and there so bad they make me double over and unable to talk.

I am worried especially since I have been so active that I may have done something internally.

Please Help should I call the Doc? I know that spotting during week 3/4 is normal because of passing stitches but the cramps too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Re: 4 wks. post-op cramping/bleeding should I call the doc??

I am sorry to hear you are having a rough time. What you are describing your pain level to be (double over ando unable to speak) in addition to increased bleeding sounds like a good reason to call the doctor.

It's better to be safe and make the call.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Unread 06-12-2011, 12:13 PM

Call your doctor, sounds like you may have pushed too hard and now your body is reacting. I am a few years now removed from surgery...but I remember after over doing it, I too experience similar reaction. Hope you feel better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2011, 12:14 PM

Thanks TLC,

I just hate calling him, he was not very attentive and pretty vague, he makes me feel like my concerns are a nuisance
Unread 06-12-2011, 12:22 PM

When are you due for your next checkup....if it is relatively soon you can address it at that time. If is quite a way's off
I would contact his office. Your health is number one...bug him if necessary. Meanwhile, try and lay off the heavy task...if possible let me know how it goes.
Unread 06-12-2011, 12:24 PM

There is no such thing as being a nuissance when it comes to your health. What you are describing certainly sounds worthy of a call. If you are not satisfied with his response you can try the urgent care centre if you have one or the ER.
Unread 06-12-2011, 04:12 PM

Double up cramping and pain when you have been doing well would warrant a call to the doctor in my mind. Especially with the bleeding. IT may be nothing, but better to be safe than sorry.

How are you feeling now?
Unread 06-12-2011, 05:17 PM

We all heal differently and are at different stages. however, one thing we all agree on is to call the Doc should you feel the need. You get only one chance to heel is a common line here and I agree with it.
Unread 06-12-2011, 05:23 PM

Thank you everyone, I called at around 2 and the On call doc told me to go to ER just to make sure everything was ok.
I was there for four hours and I feel as though I would have been better off waiting it out till tomorrow.... The house OB/GYN was awful, he was an old man with a crappy attitude and was very rough during both the internal and external exam. He told me its probably a UTI and gave me a script for an antiboitic and something else (they didnt even do a urin test and all of my blood work was fine). He also told me to take it easy and stop doing so much. Now my husband is honkerblonked at me because I told him the doc said I am doing to much which includes washing dishes for 20 mins everyday because he wont (not exactly in those words). I am not happy with him right now he was so supportive the first week now he's like I dont understand why you cant do stuff like washing the dishes its not like your leaning over! (but yet I can see him from here as he is leaning over the sink, huffing and puffing while washing dishes!!!! I am half tempted to just turn around and walk out the door.
Unread 06-12-2011, 05:29 PM

Aww, hon, I'm sorry. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register