What pain meds do they send you home with usually? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What pain meds do they send you home with usually? What pain meds do they send you home with usually?

Unread 03-08-2011, 09:49 AM
What pain meds do they send you home with usually?

Hi! I'm just wondering what pain meds they usually give you an Rx to come home with?
I'm having an LAVH with a hospital overnight. Do they generally give a morphine pump after?
Thanks...I've had problems in the past with pain meds not working, so I'm a little concerned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Re: What pain meds do they send you home with usually?

I had my LSH just this past week. They sent me home with prescriptions for three meds. One if I had nausea, one was a stool softener, and for pain they gave me a prescription for Hydrocodone and also told me to take ibuprophan. I haven't really been able to wean off the drugs yet but they definately have helped with the pain.
If you've had problems with pain meds not working in the past make sure you talk with the doc and nurses about this before you leave. Also I would recomend taking your meds ontime, don't skip doses or try and tough it out. I think the one reason why I haven't been doing to bad is that I've made sure I haven't been too late with my doses. I've heard that if you don't get more meds on board as the first dose is running out it can make pain management a lot worse. it does take a while for the new dose to get into your system. I'm wishing you all the best and hoping for an easy pain-light recovery.
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:25 PM

For my TVH I had Percocet, for my BSO, Vicodin. I think those are pretty typical take home meds. They had me on them in hospital to be sure they worked. I didn't have the pain med pump, although I'd been told I might. The nurses just brought me meds when I asked for them. It was Dilaudid for the TVH. Just tell them if you need better pain control, or if you know what works best. I had good pain control, I hope you do, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM

I woke up after surgery with a morphine pump, it was not removed til the next evening.

Was sent home with percocet.
Unread 03-08-2011, 04:14 PM

I was given a prescription for Percocet to fill ahead of time. My doctor usually prescribes Vicodin, but I can't take it so he gave me Percocet.
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:00 PM

For the first three days in the hospital I was given Morphine and Toradal via IV every two to three hours. After the third day was placed on Percocet .5 every three to four hours, and then sent home with a RX for Percocet .5 and Motrin 600mg.
Good luck to you
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchudak View Post
Hi! I'm just wondering what pain meds they usually give you an Rx to come home with?
I'm having an LAVH with a hospital overnight. Do they generally give a morphine pump after?
Thanks...I've had problems in the past with pain meds not working, so I'm a little concerned!
Be proactive. Since you know which pain medications have not worked, tell your doctor. I had two prior surgeries and the morphine medications NEVER worked and caused severe constipation.

I communicated that to the doctor prior to surgery and when I listed my medications I was taking, I told him again prior to surgery. I was given Motrin 800 mg and then Percocet. Percocet would knock the pain out completely but left me mentally wired. I did not sleep for more than an hour while taking it.

I also remind the doctors what medications HAVE worked in the past, especially for cramps.

Good luck to you. Be proactive. Don't wait to suffer taking medications you already know don't work. Your doctor's nurse also knows what medications he generally uses.
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:44 PM

I had Percocet, a laxative/stool softener combo, a medication for nausea, and ibuprophen
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Pain med was hydrocodone....used 2.
Prescription was sent to my room filled, one for a stool softener, which i took twice a day for a week.
The other for a pill form laxative. Only used 2.
Unread 03-09-2011, 05:50 AM

Thanks so much for all of the info! I'm getting a little nervous...mostly because I have cold....but I can still breath OK, occasional coughing. I'm hoping it is not canceled!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register