TAH How long does the incision pain last??/ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does the incision pain last??/ How long does the incision pain last??/

Unread 06-30-2012, 09:20 PM
How long does the incision pain last??/

Hi. I had a TAH on June 26 due to an enlarged uterus, baseball sized and ping pong ball sized fibroids. Oh yeah...and periods every two weeks for the last year and a half. I had my staples removed today and thought that it would make me feel better. It doesn't I still feel a burning kind of pain along my incision. When does this go away??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Re: How long does the incision pain last??/

I had my TAH on June 7. No staples. Glue (?) and steri-strips. I'm still very sensitive to the touch. The sheets at night drive me crazy. The painkillers made it bearable, though.

If you're really concerned about the burning sensation, which sounds a bit more severe than what I've had, give your doctor/nurse a call and ask.
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:45 PM

June 12th here with internal staples and glue... Incision still burns if I do too much, if I let me meds go a bit too long, or if my clothes are a bit too tight. Spoke to my dr about this and she said its all the nerves firing & internal healing. Everyone heals differently but this can take days to months... And some areas may linger numb longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2012, 09:46 PM

It took 10 days for me for the incision to stop hurting when I moved. I didn't have any pain as long as I was still. If you are concerned, talk to your doctor.
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:04 PM

I am 16 days post op and my incision seems to be healed but I still have burning, fire sensations. I don't know how long this will last but pain pills seem to control it.
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:13 PM

Thanks every1! I guess i just have to be more patient . Im just taking motrin which doesn't do too much. Ice does help some.
Unread 07-01-2012, 01:12 AM

I am 11 days post op and definitely still need pain pills for the burning at the incision site. key is to "stay ahead of the pain".
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:21 AM
How long does the incision pain last??/

[quote=im just taking motrin which doesn't do too much. Ice does help some.[/QUOTE]

I alternate Advil/Motrin with extra strength tylenol about every 3-4 hrs. Just one or the other wasn't enough & this way helped with swelling & pain mngt. you may want to check with your dr on the OTC meds. Mine originally me to alternate with aleve but it doesn't work for me.
Unread 07-01-2012, 05:09 AM

I tried alternating tylenol and motrin like suggested. Extra stregnth tylenol seems to work better for me but dr wants me on motrin. Great suggestion!!!!!! I also feel like my new kangaroo pouch is pulling the incision down. I want to try spanx but am afraid to put them on til incision check next thursday. Anyone feel their swelly belly making incision hurt more?????
Unread 07-01-2012, 08:28 AM

I am just over 2 weeks. I had external staples from hip to hip that we're removed one week post op. I still have a constant low burning that medicine no longer helps. It is tolerable so I am hoping it is just healing. I keep it cleansed and put gauze on it (the gauze is to draw moisture away). The gauze has always been clean ( no sign of draining or infection - though that doesn't mean there is no internal infection) and an eye on my temperature as a fever would be a sign of infection.

So, bottom line, always contact your healthcare provider if there is a hint of doubt even though it seems ok for others. We all heal differently and experience symptoms in different ways.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register