Scheduled TVH Pain management | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain management Pain management

Unread 05-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Pain management

I have heard that TVH is not anywhere near as painful as something done abdominally, but I am still worried about what kind of pain I may feel and what they do to help it. I cannot have hydrocodone (spelling), and I am allergic to demerol (it makes me stop breathing). I have my pre-op tomorrow, but I want to know now! Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Re: Pain management

It's really hard to know before going in what you will need. Even though I had a large abdominal incision, I needed nothing for pain once I left the hospital. Best wishes to you!!!
Unread 05-31-2009, 06:02 PM

It's important to remember that everyone is different & while some might require alot of pain relief, others may not.

I had a TVH and found that the initial 24hrs were the worst but I used a PCA (push button) which had Fentanol in it & coped with that just fine, no nausea. When they took me off that the following day & put me on oral meds it took 2 days to find one that didn't upset my stomach. Ended up taking something called Digesic.

Pain wise I found it quite similar to menstrual cramps & now am nearly pain free except if I overdo things.

Goodluck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2009, 06:03 PM

I had a TAH, so I went through the abdominal pains. I was given morphine for the pain in the recovery room, and for the next twelve hours. Morphine did nothing to control my pains. Apparently, some people don't find pain relief from morphine, and I was one of them. I tried to tell the nurses that the pain was severe, but it wasn't until the night nurse came on shift that the doctor was called. He ordered demerol, and that first shot, given well after midnight, was the first bit of relief that I got from the pain. I don't tell you this to scare you. I see you allergic to some of the meds that I was given. However, I tell you this, because you are the only one who can feel your pain, and you need to make sure that the nursing staff understand where your pain levels are, and treat you accordingly. You have to be your best advocate, and if you are in pain, and what they have given you is not giving relief, be sure to speak up, and ask for something else. Stay ontop of your pains. Don't try to be a martyr, as you will heal better, and will feel better, if you take pain meds on time, and be proactive, rather than reactive.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 05-31-2009, 09:09 PM

I had a morphine pump for the overnight period post surgery, but after it was removed the next morning, I didn't need anything other than an occasional Tylenol for the first week. Doctor offered a prescription of Percoset for home, but I never filled it. After the first week, I didn't need anything. Like Marlee, it was no more than mild/moderate menstrual cramps for me. It reminded me a lot of postpartum, only there was no baby to care for, so I could be a complete and total and think only of myself!

I agree, though, that everyone experiences pain differently. Don't be afraid to ask for more if you need it.
Unread 06-01-2009, 12:23 PM

Thanks everyone! I just got back from pre-op and all of my questions were answered! (for now )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register