Flooding in Texas- need quick solutions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Flooding in Texas- need quick solutions Flooding in Texas- need quick solutions

Unread 07-28-2004, 07:34 AM
Flooding in Texas- need quick solutions

As some of you know my gyne scheduled my TVH around my already planned vacation with my son to Texas. I figured I would start bleeding while down here. And of course, yesterday I did.

Well, I always flood badly. Usually not a huge problem as I can stick close to home (unless its a day i work) and change pads every hour or so...but darnit!!! I am on vacation!! There is a huge huge (yes things are bigger in Texas) outlet mall in the parking lot of our hotel. I want to go!!!!!!!

I usually wear double extra large, extra heavy pads when I am at home. If I were to do this down here I would have to carry almost a whole box of pads with me...not an option. I do not carry a pocketbook, refuse to and do not own one, so my shorts pockets will only hold a couple without making my but look like it has grown tumors on each side (he he).

Anyone with any tried and true solutions to the heavy bleeding woes???? I really really really need to be able to leave the hotel room for a few hours.

Thanks!!!!!!!! also, if you want to reply via email to this please use my son's address: < admin note - email address removed for internet safety> .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2004, 07:43 AM

Hi Periwinkle,

I can sure relate...but I've been free of such worries since April. Believe me, I had to use the biggest tampon and 2 heavy duty pads--AND still had to change every 20 minutes. I wouldn't have been able to venture away from home without some kind of a bag. Maybe a mini backpack? Or can someone else hold your stash? I just don't see how you'll get away without some kind of bag. But just think....It'll all be over very soon! Good luck with your surgery next month.
Unread 07-28-2004, 07:52 AM

Hi,

You might want to check out this thread from long ago for tips on how to stop heavy bleeding:
Help for Heavy Bleeding

Also, someone recently suggested wearing a Depends undergarment. Said it took care of all the leaks.

You may also want to invest in a fanny pack, or as previously mentioned, a backpack. You may also have to break down and get a purse, if you really want to go out. Another idea is a small cosmetic bag filled with pads that you can just carry in your hand. No one would be the wiser, if it's one that looks like maybe a clutch purse. (I used to carry 1/2 box of tampons in a cosmetic bag in my purse. That way, while I was at work, I could just take the cosmetic bag and not have to carry my purse to the bathroom a hundred times a day.)

Best wishes and s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2004, 08:34 AM

How about a shopping bag from one of the stores at the mall?
(A nice paper bag with hanldes)
I would put my stash in the shopping bag ;-))
Happy shopping.
DeeDee
Unread 07-28-2004, 12:12 PM

RUN out to your drug store, and buy some Depends or Poise pads!! These were terrific for me while I was waiting for my hyst!

They come in different sizes to hold different amounts of liquid, but I went from totally soaking through any pad I put on (I would get frequent floods that would soak through everything including all my clothes), to being able to get through an entire work day without having to change my clothes.

Mind you, I DID need to change the pads, and would whenever I had a flood, but they would contain the flood and absorb it, so I wouldn't bleed through my pants.

PLEASE give these a try, they will really help!!
Unread 07-29-2004, 12:49 PM

I have had to use Depends undergarments for several years to survive the heavy bleeding. I am a teacher and it was rarely possible to get to a bathroom at the needed time. Even with 2 super plus tampons and 2 overnight pads I couldn't go for more than 30 minutes without major leaks (and classes are longer than 30 minutes). With the depends I could make 2 or 3 hours before I had to change - and there was no mess to clean up. Good luck and I hope you enjoy Texas.
Unread 07-29-2004, 02:47 PM

Tami, that's my reason for going to surgery and I have no suggestions except DO NOT TAKE ADVIL or any other Ibprohin, it makes you bleed more. I literally cannot go to work and fill the pot up, I usually fill up pads tampax towel and chux pads, have to go to the ER if it goes longer that 24 hours for D&C, so I feel for you and I will also be free from this very soon, best of luck and good rid to the Denna
Unread 07-29-2004, 04:16 PM

Thanks to all of you.
I got lucky. Decided to just load up my pockets with as many 'boards' as I could (4) and off I went. I was only a short drive back to the hotel if I need to replenish. So off I went.

Found some great bargins! Walked miles.....and miles and miles.
No leakthroughs!!!!!!!!!!

I sure wish I had asked about flooding help before. I work in EMS with long transport times. I frequently leak through. One day in particular comes to mind. I had a patient with a mangled hand from a lawn mower accident. He was fine..well, as fine as can be expected. My transport time was about 45 minutes. AFter unloading the patient at the hospital I went back to the ambulance to clean up the mess from the patient. Looking at the bench seat where I had been sitting I noticed a huge amount of blood on the flat part of the seat. I thought to myself, now how did he bleed on my seat???? Well, it took me a couple of minutes to remember that I was bleeding and sure enough I had totally blew out my clothing. Good thing my house was on the way home, quick change of clothes and I was back in service. Very very embarrassing.

I do not take IBU or ASA when I am on my period unless my cramps are just too severe. The IBU is the only thing that will relieve my pain. The bad side to this is that I bleed more...

ONLY once did I take ASA while on my period. I was desperate while at work and no one had any ACE or IBU....only ASA that I was able to get out of our cardiac meds off teh ambulance. I bleed for 20 day all because of 181 mg ASA....

I am so glad that I am only a few days away from releif and that this is my last absolute last most definately last period.

Again, thanks for all the encouragement and support...

For any of you out here in Texas with me this week, specifically Northern Texas.....what the heck kind of rains do you all get here??? That one last night was horrendous!!! Got caught out in it driving East on 635 at rush hour trying to find a Walmart to replenish my stock of mega pads...lol
Unread 07-29-2004, 04:33 PM

Well, I just noticed you posted, but here was my 2 cents....

I can also relate with the flooding. Used to have to pretty much stay home during those days.

What about a fanny pack? They're small and you can just wear it and reload when you go back to the car.

Hope you can have a wonderful vacation, though.

Deanna
Unread 07-29-2004, 07:12 PM

Hi Tami! Sorry about both types of floods you're experiencing!

I live in the Dallas area (Arlington), and I know what you mean about the rain. We get nothing for a month, then the skies just opened!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register