Don't Overdo It Before Surgery! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Don't Overdo It Before Surgery! Don't Overdo It Before Surgery!

Unread 02-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Don't Overdo It Before Surgery!

Hi Ladies, I was talking to a couple of friends and my sister who have had TAH and they all told me not to overdo it before going in for surgery. They said that if you go in exhausted, it will be much harder for your body to recuperate. I have been going non stop for the last couple of weeks - working through the day and sewing, cooking, baking at nights and on weekends. I even re-painted my kitchen on Saturday! I keep reminding myself that I will spend weeks doing nothing so I can rest then. Can't wait to be a Am I the only one thinking like this and are they right? Take care.....Frenchie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2006, 03:45 PM

Hi Frenchie,

I would think that going in for surgery exhausted would not be a good thing for the reasons you were given. However, there is a difference between staying busy and exhausting yourself. I found that I had to stay busy to keep myself from worrying.

S,
Kay
Unread 02-07-2006, 04:11 PM

Frenchie,
Maybe start by cutting down on all the extras you are doing. Make time to pamper yourself already. I know you only have like 30 something days left before hyst, but definitely don't overdo it! Hang in there!!! Hugs Raymo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2006, 05:34 PM

Hi Frenchie - you sound just like me. I have been baking like mad only thing is they keep coming out wrong! I have also repainted my kitchen! I do feel the need to get the house really clean but hubby is a builder and comes home filthy and walks in dust and bits! It will drive me mad after that I can't vac after him and he can never see it - think I'll have to get a pair of blinkers so I can't see it too! I am absolutely determined to go out with my daughter and neice and have fun for a few days next week because I know I will clean and clean and then get mad with them when they make it dirty again. If I don't go out and try and take my mind off it I will go mad! Probably go mad anyway cause I'll end up coming home and staying up half the night doing the cleaning! Good luck to you all. xx
Unread 02-07-2006, 05:53 PM

Hello! No, you are not the only one, but after reading your post I'm rethinking my plans....I just scheduled my TAH today (it's the day before yours!) and I'm already making a list of things that I'm going to do over the next 33 days....including giving my dogs haircuts...I'd like to do a lot of (horseback) riding since that will be out for a while after 3/13...want to put a new floor in the dining room, and do tons more....maybe we should set a "cut-off date" for doing things....relax the entire week before? I'm thinking I won't be eating much that week -between nerves and other things...just eating light and healthy and resting a lot so maybe I'll go into relaxation mode on March 6!!
Unread 02-07-2006, 06:24 PM

Frenchie,

I wouldnt worrry too much. I painted 3 rooms, organized my whole house, threw out over 25 bags of trsh in 20 days, and cleaned the yards. I did stop 2 days before surgery. I still did little things, but I was fine!!! You go get 'em!! Good Luck!!
Unread 02-07-2006, 11:31 PM

I've been trying to get it all ready before I go in on the 14th. I have a husband that will clean, just does the worst possable job that he can at it (guess that is why I end up doing it all) and 4 boys (12, 9, 6, and 4).

So I'm here and there, cooking things that can be frozen then just popped in the oven by my hubby or my older boys.

At this point I'm just a bundle of nervous energy, don't know how you ladies that have a longer wait deal with it. I was told that we are doing this a week ago and only have a week left.
Unread 02-08-2006, 09:34 AM

WaterSprite,
I also was just told about my surgery date last week and I go in on the 14th. I can't imagine having to wait much longer. The only draw back for me is, I have to work up to the 13th to insure i'll have enough time to recuperate. So needless to say, I am gonna be doing everything last minute. I have teenaged daughters who help me around the house so I guess it won't be too bad. But I am looking forward to the rest. I'll probably take off the after noon of the 13th now that I think about it. I need atleast a little time to exhale.

Well gotta run, I have a desk full of files to work on.

Later y'all. Tonya
I
Unread 02-09-2006, 09:00 AM

Wow! I'm not alone. I've been working out really hard, doing extra abdominal work (I have six pack abs, they're just hidden under all my belly!) in hopes it will make my recovery easier. And I've been trying to get so many things done BEFORE I'm down for a couple of weeks. I kind of think of it was nesting before I had my kids, now I'm nesting for me!
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:23 AM

I have a big list to do in the next two weeks, but I've been sick so I'm starting to cut down to what really needs to be done and then let the rest slide (not easy for me). I was also starting to consider that resting as much as possible before surgery might be beneficial. It helped with my recovery from childbirth.

I've been wanting to cook and freeze, but since I've been sick, it isn't happening. DH is a good cook so I'll help him stock the kitchen and then he and the kids can fend for themselves.

I do need to turn our downstairs playroom/spare bedroom into a recovery room because we have very steep stairs up to our bedroom.

I think my focus is shifting from what to do for my family to what to do for myself so that my recovery is prepared for. Then DH and other folks can mind everything else. Otherwise, I think I'm going to be a control-freak and go nuts trying to do it all. And what good is a clean house that is just going to get messed up the next day? (Yes, that's me rationalizing!)

Good luck everyone!

Ursula

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register