incisional drainage | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

incisional drainage incisional drainage

Unread 03-23-2008, 12:18 AM
incisional drainage

Well my friday wasn't so good! I ended up going to the docs on Friday because my temp was slightly elevated and I had a warm red strip just below my belly button incision. It was starting to drain and I was having pain at the site. I felt a lump above the belly button. I was told to come in within the hour. Of course, got there a WAITED!!! Saw the nurse practitioner in the office. She cultured the drainage and pushed on the area. She left and came back 15 mins. later. She gave me a prescription for antibiotics and never really said what she thought. I asked her if she thought it was an abscess and she said maybe. She told me to get the script filled ASAP so as I could get 3 doses in that day. Also told me to drink plenty of water and take Tylenol/Motrin for the fever. I'm on 2000mg of Keflex a day. Later that day I started to feel terrible. I was in bed pretty much all day. I woke up in the middle of the night soaking wet. My incision was draining more. Sat. morning I felt much better. No temp., incision draining a little, and the nodule above my belly button was not as hard. I put a gauze pad over my belly button today to see how much drainage...not much. I was sitting here and I checked my drainage and it's picked up again. It's clear to light brown/pink. I still have a red strip below the belly button, but it's not as red.

Anyone have this experience? What did your doc do? When did the drainage stop?

When I had my first c/s I had a gap in one of my stitches and it drainage for a few weeks also. Doc said better out than in. I am hoping this saying applies here as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2008, 10:30 AM
incisional drainage

Michelle -

I don't have any experience with incisional drainage but I agree with the better out than in. Just because of something I've noticed here. I had a vaginal cuff infection but no drainage through the vagina. Other ladies had theirs diagnosed through drainage. Mine ended up becoming a huge abscess, well two that I had major surgery to fix. It seems like we all started with the same treatment for the orignal infection - heavy duty antibiotics, but those ladies with drainage seemed like they cleared up and got better while mine did not. I have my own theory which counts for nothing since I'm a coffee girl and not a Dr

Hugs and I hope someone with more experience comes along soon. The fact that your fever is better and you feel ok are positives!

Starbgirl
Unread 03-23-2008, 11:19 AM
incisional drainage

At about 3 weeks post op my incision started to bleed lightly. I called the dr. They said to watch for signs of infection. None so far. I took it really easy for the next two days. After I showered yesterday I noticed that it was draining/bleeding again. (not sure if it was all blood). Anyway today it seems to be doing better. the pain is better and it looks like it is healing. I am going to continue to take it easy till I feel it is fully healed. I will still walk but no more bending or stretching for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register