Scheduled LAVH I have a "2nd" LAVH surgery date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have a "2nd" LAVH surgery date I have a "2nd" LAVH surgery date

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:54 PM
I have a "2nd" LAVH surgery date

After many tests and several office visits to "one of the best in his field" gyns, I was told I had a surgery date of Aug. 5th. Well during my pre-surgi screening (with the actual surgeon) I was told I would have to reschedule my surgery to Aug. 17th..! After I had finally come to terms that I needed this surgery and pretty much conquered my nerves (couldnt eat, couldnt sleep, when i did eat i couldnt keep anything down) and set aside my fears, I had to reschedule because my surgeon suspected there my be cancerous cells in my uterus. The other tests came back "inconclusive" So they took more samples, so again I wait, now I have a whole new batch of fears and nerves..I am a wreck! I'm not very good with pain and I've been told that usually the stay in the hospital is overnight and get discharged the next day..That hardly seems like enough recovery/observation time to me.. <<(those pesky nerves again!) Is it possible to request a longer stay if my insurance already covers it 100%? Has anyone ever have to go through this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Re: I have a "2nd" LAVH surgery date

Hi Brooklyn314,

Do you live in Brooklyn or born there?

I stayed in Brooklyn for a week in 1986 to attend conference and look for jobs. Didn't get any offer there, but I had a great time visiting the Big Apple.

Sounded like you're having some very normal anxiety over the 'first' surgery in your life. It's understandable and totally anticipated by your health care provider.

My surgery in 2007 was also 'delayed' because of the busy schedule of the surgeon. But I got a radiation oncologist friend (in the same hospital) to serve as my 2nd opinion doctor and actually got it moved ahead several days of the original schedule.

I am sure if the test result found anything that warrants 'earlier' surgical procedure, your surgeon will move yours ahead. Right now, it can be a 'no news is good news' situation.

However, since you are having anxiety over this, I would strongly urge you to seek a second opinion whenever you get your test result back.

Hang in there. My brain surgery in 1990 was the only one of my 5 surgeries that's been done less than 15 days after the MRI result because it was causing symptoms (and I'd got lucky to have a neurosurgeon friend in town.) Most breast surgeons will tell you 1 month is the average wait and they see no harm (no difference in outcome) to it. I got lucky as the 'margin' ended up just .5 mm from my pectoral muscle. The decision to move it sooner (five days ahead of the original schedule instead of 3 days after) had spared me from getting the muscle cut and risk having a paralyzed right arm.

I had TLH/Oo in mid January and it was by far the easiest surgery I've had in my life. Though I did feel more pain (because I'd built up resistance already - I was the only one that was feeling pain among the 5, 6 patients) in the recovery room (the nurse just pumped more morphine into my IV - so be sure to tell them if you are hurting in any way and form.)

I was wheeled back to my room and slept 6 hours straight before waking up and ate a real late supper. Then I got up and walked 30 minutes holding the IV pole (read 'hysterstories') at midnight. Next morning I was discharged. I think I started doing dishes just 3 days after I got back home.

You might want to start a 'walking' routine during the wait. Try to build up to a 30-minute straight 'leisure walk' gradually, it will help with your stamina and recovery.
Unread 08-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Re: I have a "2nd" LAVH surgery date

Gosh, that is disappointing to psych yourself up and then have it all changed.

My situation is different to yours but I totally understand your fears and anxiety. You are not alone in that and we all understand EXACTLY what you mean!

Re: the hospital stay, if you are not ready to go then they won't discharge you. If you don't feel ready make sure you speak out.

Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register