Bowel cleanse tips before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel cleanse tips before surgery Bowel cleanse tips before surgery

Unread 02-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Bowel cleanse tips before surgery

Since I have had to do 2 bowel cleanses before medical procedures or surgeries in the past 6 weeks, I thought I would share what worked for me. Prepare for the cleanse in advance. Put extra moist wipes and toilet paper near toilet or in bathroom where you can grab quickly. I also had extra underwear and extra maxi pads at the ready. I put a disposable mattress pad or diaper changing pad on my bed just in case....Have reading material or e-reader or iPad ready and charged. You will spend time waiting after you first drink the solution, and then between movements and you will want distraction. I wore my top and underwear...no pants, to expedite going to the bathroom. I brought an extra ottoman or chair into the bathroom and put my donut cushion with an old towel on top. Yes your bottom will get sore....and since I already have hemmorhoids I wanted to minimize further pain.
As for prep solution make sure doctor expains how many bottles, and when you should take them. If you are given Souprep or Magnesium Citrate you will want to put it in the refrigerator...I found it was easier to tolerate if it was cold. If you are given something else check first if it can be refrigerated. I mixed in a bit of ginger ale to lessen bitter taste. Use a straw when you drink it to minimize bad taste. Drink plenty of water after each dose....more than they say on the package. You do not want to get dehydrated. If you stay well hydrated easier for them to find your veins the next day for IV tubes, blood tests, etc.
You will spend several hours in the bathroom or vey close by. Get someone else to watch your kids during that time, make them dinner, etc. I did not want company while doing the cleanse.
My other big tip is to actually adjust your diet starting 3 days before your procedure....go for very simple, soft foods that are "low residue" or non -binding like chicken noodle soup, breads without seeds, simple fruits like diced peaches, etc. This means no cheese, no dairy, no nuts, , no heavy meat, no chocolate, etc. Drink plenty of fluids those 3 days to get things moving. You want to make it easy for the bowel movements. If you are having certain procedures like my colonoscopy they may say no red or purple liquids when on the clear liquids part of the preparation. Not a fun process but you will get though it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register