Period days before surgery!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Period days before surgery!! Period days before surgery!!

Unread 06-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Period days before surgery!!

Of all things to happen, I have started my period. I go for my pre-op tests tomorrow including a pre-op exam at my gyn's office. My periods usually last 10 days or more but are the heaviest on day 3-5 (surgery is Thursday).

What do they do about your period? Normally I use tampons (can't stand sitting in blood). Has this happened to anyone? Also at your pre-op exam at the dr.'s office do they do an internal?

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2005, 07:08 PM

Don't worry about it. Lots of women have their periods at the time of surgery. Some bleed constantly anyway so there's no way to schedule around it. The good news is you'll come out of surgery without it.

If your doctor has done a pelvic exam already then chances are he won't do one at pre-op. All mine did was listen to my heart and lungs and look in my throat. Then we sat in his office and went over the surgery. Afterwards I went to the hospital for blood tests. You may need other tests like EKG, lung x-ray, etc. Depends on what your doctor orders.
Unread 06-05-2005, 07:21 PM

I know what you mean about "timing". My period started the day before my surgery. When I was in the hospital, changing into the hospital gown, the nurse said to remove everything underneath. When she came back and asked, I said I had my underwear on because I was on my period. No problem. I did wear my pretty underwear, since I figured other people would see them once I was on the operating table!

You might want to ask your Dr. or Nurse if you should just use a pad or if a tampon is ok. You wouldn't want to do anything that would cancel your Day at the Castle! Good luck!

At Post Op Week 4 + 2 days, I can say I'm tickled pink at how well everything has gone!

See you back here soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Don't worry

I am one of those who was bleeding daily, and I asked the nurse the same question when I went for the pre-op labs. She assured me the the surgery would go on. It did, and I am am glad.
Unread 06-05-2005, 08:00 PM

Thank you, you have eased my mind. I will ask my doctor tomorrow what I should do day of surgery. I will be so very glad to be done with this whole thing. I bleed or drain something 3 weeks out of the month. I have worn a pad daily for over a year and I keep thinking how nice it will feel to be "padless" and free.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register