Scheduled dVH/RALH Ovaries, keep or take? Any suggestions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries, keep or take? Any suggestions? Ovaries, keep or take? Any suggestions?

Unread 08-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Ovaries, keep or take? Any suggestions?

I'm 47 and scheduled for DVH on Aug 11 due to enlarge uterus and fibroid tumor size of an orange. The doc at my pre-op has given me the option on the ovaries. I wasn't prepared for this question. From what I've read on Hystersisters, the general thought is if they are healthy, keep them. (I agree). I'm adopted, so I don't have a family medical history regarding cancers.

I understand the pros and cons. Take them and remove the risks of ovarian cancer but start menopause, hormone therapies and face other health risks. Keep them, start menopause naturally but could still face cancer or having them removed at a later date for other reasons.

The whole fibroid tumor and hysterectomy hit hard and fast (2 months from diagnosis to surgery), and I'm just wrapping my head around all this. My doctor said it's my decision regarding the ovaries. Her suggestion is to take. Mine is to keep. I'm researching the best I can and would love some thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Re: Ovaries, keep or take? Any suggestions?

I am having the same dilemma. I am having laparoscopic surgery Sept. 30. My doctor (whom I fully trust) told me that he was going to take everything except the cervix. I started researching and discovered the same things that you did. Now I'm wondering if I should let him take the ovaries or not. Also, I'm not really sure why he wants to leave the cervix. I plan to talk to him again before the surgery to try to work through all of this. Good Luck to you.
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:16 AM

I kept my ovaries. No family history of ovarian cancer. I also was under the impression that you would need to go on hormones if you had them removed. With a history of melanoma, I am trying to stay as far away from hormones as possible bc it was explained by one dr that if you have a history of any type of cancer it's possible that hormones would feed that. He said envision your body as a field of grass-if you have a weed-and there's no way to know this- it would be like fertilizing the weed. That has always stayed with me since I have a history. Each person has unique circumstances! Good luck with your decision and surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2010, 08:35 AM

I have no family history of ovarian cancer, but other than that our profiles are similar. My doctor convinced me to go ahead and remove the ovaries. I took HRT for a while but am not currently taking anything. Honestly, so far, the menopausal symptoms are not that bad. I don't know about what might happen in the future.

After they were removed, my doctor said the one looked "funny". Fortunately the pathological report didn't reveal anything, but I guess you don't know what "funny" could turn out to be in the end.

My thoughts are with you as you make this decision. There are pros and cons to each. Take care, dear heart.
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:44 AM

Hi fltprincess-
I'm 48 - had dvh also for enlarged uterus/fibroid. Endometrial biopsy was negative so I kept my cervix. My surgeon gave me the same choice for my ovaries. Main complaint he said he sees from his patients w ovary removal is decreased libido which can be corrected w hormones. I also have menstrual migraines and did not want to mess w taking hormones cause of chance of increased headache problems. I also like the benefits ovaries give - even after menopause - for good cardiac and bone health. I kept my ovaries and am happy w my decision. Also, dvh recovery was so quick and easy, I would just choose to have my ovaries removed that way if I have any future problems, but I've had no ovarian cysts or problems and no ovarian cancer in my family.

Good luck w getting "daVinci'ed" - I hope yours is as easy and your recovery is as speedy as mine was!!
Di
Unread 08-07-2010, 09:17 AM

Thank you all for your encouragement! My "gut" feeling tells me to keep my ovaries, unless the dr sees a reason to remove them during surgery. I'll keep researching - at least I have a few days to make the decision. Thanks!!!
Unread 08-07-2010, 09:30 AM

I had a similar situation, enlarged uterus and fibroids (one the size or an orange), age 46. I chose to keep the ovaries and cervix. My surgeon told me that she would only recommend taking the ovaries and cervix if I had a history of irregular pap results. Since My results were consistently "fine" I chose to follow her advice.
I gave her tho ok to take the ovaries and or cervix during surgery if she saw anything "suspicious" while doing the LSH. Luckily all looked good.
LIke you, I went from diagnosis to surgery in 2 months time. I had to learn so much and make so many decisions, all while I was in pain and so frustrated about the situation overall.
I am now 10 month post-op and am feeling great. So glad I did the surgery, and made the choices I made for myself.
Once you have the surgery and start feeling better, you will be so much happier. It's amazing to get your life, and feel good again.
Unread 08-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Here is something to consider: What other organs would you remove simply because they might become cancerous in the future?

Before making your final decision, seek at least a second opinion. If you have concerns because of not having a family medical history to refer to, ask if you should seek genetic counseling and testing to help with your decision.

s
Unread 08-07-2010, 11:05 AM

I also had enlarged uterus (size of cantaloupe they said) and just had everything removed July 20. After speaking with my gyn, an oncologist and my 2nd cousin who is a retired gyn (probably the most frank of all) here's what I learned - surmised - from all info. With enlarged uterus even tho no sign of cancer 7-30% chance it will become cancer due to polyps (which are hard to discern from fibroids in tests). With all those fibroids, polyps - it's quite likely that the ovaries are not getting the proper blood flow through the tubes anyway! In my case, once they did the pathology test, it turns out my ovaries had atrophied (look it up) so it was a good thing I took them out - they weren't working anyway! The general rule of thinking is that if you are late 40's or 50's then remove the ovaries, if you are early 40's keep them for their possible good. You are 47 so that's right in the middle. The cervix does not have a clean break from the uterus, so part of the uterus can be left. It's been "fashionable" to leave the cervix but what's up with fashion of body parts? They left in in the 50's & 60's because they didn't have the medical knowledge we have now. Also if you later get cancer of the cervix it's a more difficult surgery. I have a friend who had everything removed and she said sex is better than ever. Part of how sex will be afterward depends on the woman and how it was beforehand. I have another girlfriend who kept her ovaries thinking they would "help" and eliminate hormone therapy but within 2 years she was having hot flashes anyway and had to take Hormones. My gyn cousin said "remove them" and he is probably most honest and frank of all. I suggest you remove everything - why worry about surgery again, get it over with once and for all and never have to worry about getting cancer in any of those parts. Of all the women I know who have done that, none have regrets. Just being to-the-point - and sharing thoughts. Best wishes to all.
Unread 08-07-2010, 12:42 PM

My ovaries were removed because after my doc and I talked about it, we decided that was best for me in my particular situation. If mine had been healthy I would have kept them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register