heavy and irregular periods - should I have a hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

heavy and irregular periods - should I have a hysterectomy? heavy and irregular periods - should I have a hysterectomy?

Unread 06-18-2014, 06:56 PM
heavy and irregular periods - should I have a hysterectomy?

Hi, i have had very heavy and iregular periods since i was15.At 20 I had a d&c, at 23 i had my son via c-section.then i was diagnosed with pcos.Now at 33 i was asked yesterday by a nurse at my dr.office if i wanted to have a hysterectomy.at first i said no.But now im wondering if i should.although i have had iregular periods my entire life and bled alot.this time i am un able to get it under control.i have been on metformin, provera and now on my 3 rd week of lo loestren fe birth control pill.in the past birth control and metformin have worked and they no longer are.any help would be appreciated.thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Re: need advice please

Hi ... I was on birth control for years and it never helped regulate my heavy unbearable periods due to large fibroids that grew back after several removal procedures. I have a 9 year old daughter and about 5 years ago my doctor suggested a hysterectomy , at the time I was 28 and I thought she was nuts . This year my periods became heavier and heavier and some lasted as long as 21 days , I finally decided that I had enough. My surgery was a little over three weeks ago , it was not an easy decision. My husband and I spoke at length about the procedure, the consequences and the recovery time and we finally decided that a few months of pain and recovery due to surgery was better than two to three weeks of every month being consumed by my painful periods. I can't say I'm totally on the other side yet, I still have healing to do , I'm still swollen and uncomfortable , but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel . I can see going in the pool when I want and wearing white jeans and being able to be intimate with my husband more than twice a month . It's a huge decision not to taken lightly but I'm glad I made it. Dont rush in to it , you'll know when your mind your body and your family are ready.
Unread 06-18-2014, 08:16 PM
heavy and irregular periods - should I have a hysterectomy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjandsbc View Post
Hi ... I was on birth control for years and it never helped regulate my heavy unbearable periods due to large fibroids that grew back after several removal procedures. I have a 9 year old daughter and about 5 years ago my doctor suggested a hysterectomy , at the time I was 28 and I thought she was nuts . This year my periods became heavier and heavier and some lasted as long as 21 days , I finally decided that I had enough. My surgery was a little over three weeks ago , it was not an easy decision. My husband and I spoke at length about the procedure, the consequences and the recovery time and we finally decided that a few months of pain and recovery due to surgery was better than two to three weeks of every month being consumed by my painful periods. I can't say I'm totally on the other side yet, I still have healing to do , I'm still swollen and uncomfortable , but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel . I can see going in the pool when I want and wearing white jeans and being able to be intimate with my husband more than twice a month . It's a huge decision not to taken lightly but I'm glad I made it. Dont rush in to it , you'll know when your mind your body and your family are ready.
Hi.thanks for replying. Im so tired of bleeding.sometimes it lasts for 3 months at a time.i forgot to mention that i just found out that i have cysts on my right ovari.which my dr.says is normal.hes not the nicest dr.so im not shure what hes going to decide.he is always giving me the run around and has never drawn on ounce of blood from me. Im hoping for a better experiance in the morning. Best wishes on your recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2014, 09:24 PM

Here are a couple articles that may be helpful:

Hysterectomy for PCOS

PCOS after Hysterectomy

Also you say your doctor is not so nice. Perhaps you should seek out a new doctor who will listen to your concerns and work with you. At least get a second opinion before you make a life-altering decision. Check out www.givemeasecond.com.
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:11 PM

Thank you for the links. Im hoping he will be nicer at my ap.in the morning since my husband will be coming with me this time
Unread 06-19-2014, 05:28 AM
Re: heavy and irregular periods - should I have a hysterectomy?

Good luck at your appointment . One of the major factors in my decision was how much I love and trust my doctor . If you're not comfortable at a regular visit than maybe it's time to ask around and see if any of your girlfriends have a doctor that they recommend . Good luck again and know that there are options out there you don't have to suffer.
Unread 06-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Re: heavy and irregular periods - should I have a hysterectomy?

Hi.my dr.was actually really nice today.we talked for a long time.he said a hysterectomy would be my best option.soo im scheduled for a total laparoscopic hystetectomy next fri.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register