Scheduled TLH 3 weeks until TLH/LSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks until TLH/LSO 3 weeks until TLH/LSO

Unread 10-31-2011, 11:28 AM
3 weeks until TLH/LSO

I am FINALLY scheduled. I have been waiting on insurance and thankfully now that is all squared away so I can move forward. I am so excited to get this over with, but of course I am scared as heck!! He is taking my left ovary and cervix along with the uterus. I have severe and chronic pain in my left ovary. I have endometriosis and I get ovarian cysts that are not painful when they are in my right ovary, but cause extreme pain when they are in my left.

I'm curious to know who has had this same procedure and what your pain level and recovery were like. I know each person is different, but I am a real wimp when it comes to pain. I also get very nauseated on pain meds so I always worry about taking them after surgery.

I don't want any sugar coating. I'd really like to know what to expect. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Re: 3 weeks until TLH/LSO

Still curious/nervous... any help????
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:47 PM

I had a TAH BSO, so it is not quite the same procedure. Mine was for a large ovarian cyst (left ovary).

Post-op, I had moderate pain levels, which were controlled by narcotics and Motrin in the hospital (3 days) and Motrin (600 mg) outside of the hospital for 4 weeks. The first two weeks were the worst. I stayed at home for three weeks and spent most of the time just resting. I had extreme fatigue, and walking a few hundred yards would really wear me out. My DH did most of the cooking and dishes. House cleaning went undone for 8 weeks.

I went back to work part time (desk job) after the 3rd week for about a 4 weeks. It was tough, though. And I took it slow.

My main advice is to pay attention to your body, follow you doctor's instructions to the letter. Allow your self to heal - mind, body and soul. Be a

Hugs to you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2011, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the reply My last surgery for the endo was in 2007 and I could not get out of bed for 6 days. It wasn't the pain of the incisions as much as the extreme bruising around my belly button. I could not wear pants for 2 months and even the seat belt in the car was too much pressure. I think I am more afraid of the pain of the bruising than anything else.
Unread 11-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Everyone is different, and surgeries are different. You will probably have swelly belly, and may need to find loose fitting clothes. I wore sweat pants and loose fitting shorts for about 8 weeks post op before I could wear "normal" clothes. You can also put a pillow between you and the seat belt. Some women swear by the belly binder as well.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 11-05-2011, 01:47 AM

Thanks! I have never heard about the belly binder so I will have to look that up. I also have some very basic cotton dresses that I can wear even to bed. I might ask hubby to buy me a couple of extra nightgowns as well.
Unread 11-05-2011, 01:48 PM

Belly binders are sold at this site, as well as other places. For this site, you can check the hystersister store. You can click on tummy care once there. I did not use one during my recovery, but many ladies swear by them. It is a personal choice.

(((Hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register