swollen and hard stomach - gas? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

swollen and hard stomach - gas? swollen and hard stomach - gas?

Unread 12-20-2005, 08:10 AM
swollen and hard stomach - gas?

I have been having difficulty passing gas over the past 5 days as well as difficulty having bowel movements. My stomach is now swollen and uncomfortable which I am assuming is due to gas. Correct? I don't want to have to take laxatives at this point , ie cramps, etc. Should I be on a special diet of some sort to ease this problem?? It has been 3.5 weeks since my surgery. Has anyone else had this problem???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 08:23 AM

Anne:

Sorry for your discomfort. Those gas pains can be a killer! Gas is usually caused by inactivity and a diet that causes constipation--cheese, low fiber foods, lack of sufficient water, iron supplements (if you are taking these), taking narcotic pain medicine, and many others. It could also be that one would avoid having a BM because of the pain it can cause. Believe me, I know! I get intense sharp pain when I have to go, but I try to let it happen because I'd rather go than not. I walk around and groan until it passes and then usually have to visit the bathroom. I do take Colace, a stool softener (not a laxative). It allows liquid to go into the stool to make it softer and easier to pass. Actual laxatives cause increased action of the bowel muscle, something you want to avoid because that could wreak havoc and damage all the work that was done in your belly that is still healing.

You might want to contact your physician and get his or her recommendations. That is what our doctors are there for...to help us remedy our problems both before and after surgery. I would not engage in any self medication without consulting the doctor. Also, at the top of this page look for the tab titled "Post op". There is an article there about constipation that gives some very good suggestions. It is under "I" for intestines, not "C" for constipation, so scroll down further than the c's.

Hope this helps.
Unread 12-20-2005, 04:38 PM

Yes, it could be gas, but it could also be something else. Several years ago we had a member who was sure her pain was from gas because she had read so many posts about it. Her pain got so bad she went to the ER only to find out it was a hematoma.

Please call your doctor. At 3.5 weeks post op you should be beginning to feel better. Let us know what the doctor tells you.

I hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 05:29 PM

I had surgery two weeks ago and have had a miserable time eating and digesting. My appetite was good, but severe stomach cramps, constipation and gas made it too painful to eat. I lost close to ten pounds, and I'm small to begin with. I go back to the doctor tomorrow. He seemed to feel it was a normal body's reaction to the shock of surgery and organs being displaced. Plus, my uterous and fibroid was huge and dislocated alot of stuff down there. I'm getting better now. The doctor suggested 6 tiny meals a day, and that seemed to work. If I have a normal lunch - soup & 1/2 sandwich, that's all I can eat the rest of the day. Good luck and hang in there. What I need help with is severe leg pain at night. Anybody else have this problem?
Unread 12-20-2005, 05:44 PM

I was told to call my doctor if I experienced any leg pain. Is the pain only at night? Be sure to mention this to your doctor as you want to rule out a blood clot. and I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 12-20-2005, 06:36 PM

If you aren't passing gas, or not having a bowel movement at this time, I would definitely call the Dr ASAP bcause you don't want to wait if you have an intestinal blockage which can be very dangerous. if you are passing gas and having BM and it is painful, still call dr. because most ofthis kind of distress is not a major issue at 3 1/2 weeks based on what I have read. I don't mean to scare you but don't take anything for granted during your recovery. And Don't feel like you "shouldn't " call the DR when you have things that are bothering you.
Virginia
Unread 12-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Rearranged insides

Hi! Welcome to the world of the "rearranged insides" I call it. Walking around and moving a bit seems to help with the gas.
I can recommend Prune juice, which I just drink 4 oz. of at each meal. I also am on Colace, which my Dr. prescribed. And, the (best in the world) nurse at the hospital reccommended glycerine suppositories, which have been a lifesaver. They only work when the stool is in the large colon, ready to come out, though, otherwise you'll get cramps with no result! I am amazed at how much the BMs hurt still, I can only hope it all works well soon! Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register