My Hair is Falling Out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Hair is Falling Out My Hair is Falling Out

Unread 01-30-2007, 11:29 AM
My Hair is Falling Out

Hello Sisters!! I had my hysterectomy in October 2006. Had the usual stuff: pain, numbness around scar, gas, brain fog etc. One thing I have noticed and haven't heard from anyone else is hair loss. My hair is coming out a lot. It stops up the drain. I have to go outside to comb it. I had a thyroid level done and it was okay. My family dr. says it may be hormonal. I use Vivelle patch 0.1 twice a week. Anyone else having this problem? I'm far from bald, but don't like to have all this hair falling out in my food etc. I'm a hairdresser so I know a certain amount of loss is normal. I also know the difference in hair breakage due to chemical processing and hair falling out from the root. My hair is colored and has been for years but it's never come out like this. I'll be waiting on your responses. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2007, 11:57 AM
My Hair is Falling Out

after the births of each of my 3 kids, at around 3 months i started losing tons of hair. my dr said that it is normal to lose hair around 3 months after any stressful or hormonal event your body goes thru. it does grow back eventually but it ***** in the meantime! i had my hyst in november so i am expecting a new brunette bathroom rug any time now
Unread 01-30-2007, 01:16 PM
My Hair is Falling Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by myla57
Hello Sisters!! I had my hysterectomy in October 2006. Had the usual stuff: pain, numbness around scar, gas, brain fog etc. One thing I have noticed and haven't heard from anyone else is hair loss. My hair is coming out a lot. It stops up the drain. I have to go outside to comb it. I had a thyroid level done and it was okay. My family dr. says it may be hormonal. I use Vivelle patch 0.1 twice a week. Anyone else having this problem? I'm far from bald, but don't like to have all this hair falling out in my food etc. I'm a hairdresser so I know a certain amount of loss is normal. I also know the difference in hair breakage due to chemical processing and hair falling out from the root. My hair is colored and has been for years but it's never come out like this. I'll be waiting on your responses. Thanks

My hair is also coming out ... large amts in the drain and all over the house, shedding ...

I did not have a general, had a spinal and have one remaining ovary so no hormones. I'm fed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2007, 02:28 PM
My Hair is Falling Out

My hair did this too, and I don't have much to spare as it's very fine and thin to begin with!

It did finally stop, probably about 6 months after my surgery. Hope your hair loss ends quickly!
Unread 01-30-2007, 06:38 PM
My Hair is Falling Out

My hair is also falling out, it disturbs me just to comb it after I wash it now. My dr said that between the Anesthesia and the hormones it was pretty common. That really did not make me feel any better as I see hair everywhere! I started on Evening Primrose Oil, I am hoping that it will work but I know it takes a couple on months. I read it on threads here and also one of the hostess on this site said it worked for her. Here is the address that they sent me to

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...highlight=hair

From what I have read it is not uncommon. When I had a bad car accident in 88 my hair fell out big time, the doctor told me any type of shock to the body can cause it, and if having surgery is not a shock I don't know what is. Hope this helps.
Unread 01-30-2007, 07:29 PM
My Hair is Falling Out

Like the other sisters who have replied, I went through this too. It was fairly startling! Even just running a hand through my hair I would come away with a handful. It stopped at about 5-6 months. You are not alone! Hoping it stops soon for you ...

(TAH, kept ovaries; adenomyosis, age 45)
Unread 01-30-2007, 07:50 PM
My Hair is Falling Out

You are definitely not alone... I have been worried myself about the amount of hairloss! So thank you for letting me know that I am not the only one!
Unread 01-30-2007, 08:00 PM
My Hair is Falling Out

My hair also starting falling out around 3 months. Not huge clumps, just thinning. My Dr said the anesthesia (sp?) and hormones and shock to the system from the surgery would cause this to happen. I started taking Omega 3,6,9 and it seems to be helping. Of course, I am at the 6 month mark and that seems to be the magic month. Also, watch your Vitamin A intake, to much will cause hair loss.
Unread 01-30-2007, 08:46 PM
My Hair is Falling Out

Mine is doing this too! I'm losing more hair than I've ever lost. Another hair development--I have gray hair now! I've never had gray hair.
Unread 01-30-2007, 09:51 PM
My Hair is Falling Out

My hair definitely looks and feels thinner. I already had baby-fine and thin hair. I don't need to lose anymore.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register