Am I crazy for being excited??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I crazy for being excited??? Am I crazy for being excited???

Unread 05-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Am I crazy for being excited???

I feel like I am a nut case since I am getting excited. I have made my decision for a hyst and will discuss details with my ob tomorrow, but I can't wait. I can't wait for the pain to hopefully go away and I can't wait for the bleeding to be gone forever.

So am I the only one that has ever been excited for a hyst and being on the younger side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2008, 07:09 AM

Dear havehope-you are not crazy. If you are, the we are both crazy. I had suffered for years and was ecstatic that I finally had to have a hysterectomy. At my appointment when they finally decided to schedule my surgery my gyn/onc asked how I felt about the whole thing, was I upset, did I think I needed counselling. I told him no. If I could have had this done 20 years ago I would have . Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM

I was begging for a hysterectomy and after many tests I found out I had andomyosis and endometryosis and finally had an answer for all my pain. I was so excited, no more pain and no more period! Ok now still happy I did it but the recovery was not the exciting part. So you are not crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM

im young to have one as well, and i am excited about mine. no more periods no more pain. so long as everything is taken.
Unread 05-28-2008, 11:18 AM

Nope, you are not crazy at all! I too had the excited to do it feeling in the weeks before my surgery. I think it is healthy to have that attitude, actually! I did also have anxiety and a little fear about my surgery, but I just kept reminding myself that it would hopefully put an end to my years of suffering with endometriosis. It took me a while to find a doctor who would agree to do the hysterectomy, they kept saying I was too young, and I might change my mind about having babies (I got so sick of hearing that one!). So, when I found a doctor who understood the horrendous pain and constant bleeding was not the way I wanted to live my life and she agreed to do the hysterectomy I was very excited! Best of luck to you and take care.
Unread 05-28-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks ladies. I have to say after my appt today I am still excited, but boy my nerves came out. I started to get my little shakes that I get when I am on my way to have a procedure or baby.
Unread 06-13-2008, 01:40 AM

I've been wonting a hyster since i was 16 years old .. but for various reasons it didn't happen .. then I started bleeding out in 2003 and the cycles started of GYN trying everything to stop the bleeding till all options ran out and a hyster was the last resort ... took me 14 years to get it, but i fianlly got it and am pleased as punch, just wish i didn't have the complciations that i've developed
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy1
Nope, you are not crazy at all! I too had the excited to do it feeling in the weeks before my surgery. I think it is healthy to have that attitude, actually! I did also have anxiety and a little fear about my surgery, but I just kept reminding myself that it would hopefully put an end to my years of suffering with endometriosis. It took me a while to find a doctor who would agree to do the hysterectomy, they kept saying I was too young, and I might change my mind about having babies (I got so sick of hearing that one!). So, when I found a doctor who understood the horrendous pain and constant bleeding was not the way I wanted to live my life and she agreed to do the hysterectomy I was very excited! Best of luck to you and take care.
Oh wow buffy! I think you are my twin! I had the same problem. Severe endo since 12 years old and years of suffering and I'm 34 and had my hyster April 21.

I've had several D&C's with my periods to stop the bleeding as my blood counts would get dangerously low. In 2005 I had a laprascopic clean-up and tubes tied. That helped for about 8 months and then my periods were worse than before and I developed adeno on top of the endo.

I went back to my same doc and he wouldn't do a hyster because he said I might change my mind since I'm only 34. The same doc that had JUST tied my tubes!

The next month I was in the ER for bleeding, his partner did an emergency D&C and said that I needed to get a hyster as soon as possible. I went back to my normal doc and he still wouldn't do it. I went to 3 more docs for even more opinions. All docs said I definitely needed one.

ANYWAY... sorry for the tangent.

havehope, YES, I was VERY excited to get my hysterectomy at that point! I was very scared and nervous too, but thrilled to pieces that I wouldn't deal with the pain and bleeding anymore!

In all honesty, the excitement was worth it! Even my post-op pain was nothing compared to my monthly menstrual cramps I had before surgery!

Enjoy your excitement!
Unread 06-13-2008, 10:38 PM

I was excited too. When I went for my consult with my gyn he asked me what I was interested in doing about the problems I was having and without batting an eye I told him I wanted a hysterectomy, I then braced myself for the argument that I was so certain was going to come so I was really shocked when I got no argument and he agreed that it was my best option.
He was upfront and honest and did say that if there had been any inkling that another procedure such as an ablation would relieve my problems then I wouldn't have gotten the hyst and he did say that I was fairly young to be having this surgery but since it really was my best option and I wanted it done he was willing. I have since talked to other patients of his and I know I am lucky and he meant what he said because as it turns out he is very picky about who he does hysterectomies on, he really does not perform very many at all so the fact I got mine with no argument is a testament to how bad things were for me.
I counted down the days and got impatient. It felt like my "day" was never going to come but it did and I was so giddy in pre op that my fiance really thought they had given me some wacky juice and I kept telling him they didn't and he didn't believe me until he hasked the anesthesiologist and he confirmed that he had not given me anything because I obviously had no anxiety about going into surgery...I was just plain old excited that it was finally going to happen and AF would never darken my doorstep again.
The first couple weeks after surgery I was trying really hard to remember what exactly I was so excited about but then I started feeling better and periods weren't showing up so then I remembered. It is nice missing periods and knowing full well I'm not preggy. Though until I saw my gyn for my 6 weeks check I was paranoid that he left it in there and it was just taking a break and that AF was going to return and make me miserable for trying to evict her. Once he confirmed that it was indeed gone and had the path report to prove it my paranoia has been lifted.

So if you are crazy then I am crazy right along with you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register