TVH Catheter out after 3 weeks now hurts to pee. Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter out after 3 weeks now hurts to pee. Help Catheter out after 3 weeks now hurts to pee. Help

Unread 08-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Catheter out after 3 weeks now hurts to pee. Help

I had my surgery on 7/17/2013 and had bladder repair and lift. Needed to have catheter for 3 weeks. It was taken out yesterday. I have been able to pee on my own, BUT only little bits at a time and is very painful. Still feels like there is residual urine stuck in bladder that will not come out. Will this get better and less painful in time? Did anyone else have this problem, if so please tell me your story and if it got better for you.... Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Re: Catheter out after 3 weeks now hurts to pee. Help

I am having that problem and i have a bladder infection. Finishing up a prescription of nitrofuraintoin or macrobid and its not better, so the doc wants me back in the morning.
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Re: Catheter out after 3 weeks now hurts to pee. Help

I am SO sorry to hear that. I had a laparoscopic one week ago, uterus only. I know yours was more serious but your post caught my eye. I would page your doc if I were you. I was discharged about a day and a half after my surgery (cath inserted during surgery, removed after 24 hours) and was able to pee before I left the hospital (it was a requirement for discharge).

Then all hell broke loose. I came home with the EXACT same issue you are having. My doc gave me instructions on what should prompt me to call her and then said, "And if you don't know if you should call, call". Well, after about 6 hours of going through what sounds exactly like your issues, I called. She apologetically sent me to the ER. They re-cath'd me (just what you want to hear, I know) and drained 950cc's from my bladder, which according to them is quite staggering. I had to go back home with the cath and the next day (last Friday) I spent hours at my surgeon's office "bladder training". Meaning, they took the cath out, I had to pee, pound water, pee again, repeat. Over and over.

It sound like "frozen bladder", which is what I had. The pain you are in now is excruciating. I was there. Can you page your doc? It makes me feel awful for you to say this, but I think you need to drain your bladder with the cath; it will IMMEDIATELY - as in, within 5 seconds, feel 100% better. Then you've got to work with your doc tomorrow on bladder training.

I'm so sorry. But seriously, mine wasn't going to fix itself and the ER really was my only option. Luckily within a few hours the next day in my doc's office, my bladder started to play nice. I didn't even care that when it played nice I peed my pants for 24 hours because when it's ready to play, it's READY. The urge will hit you and you've got about 15 seconds to make it to the bathroom. That's fun when you can't run because of the surgery but I promise it will be a welcome change AND it will stop after a day or so and you'll be back to normal function.

Good luck!

Edit: Oh, and my UTI test in the ER and at the doc the next day were negative.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register