3 days post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days post op 3 days post op

Unread 06-20-2013, 02:28 AM
3 days post op

Well it's been 3 days since my TAH, I came home yesterday after feeling brill, nothing like I was expecting so like am idiot I did a few small jobs but boy did I suffer last night with the pain, I'm also struggling with gas pain in my shoulder I was advised to lay down but this is when it seems to come on i get up regular and take a walk but everyte I lay down it returns I was awake most of the night and slept kinda sat up, does anyone know how long I'm likely to have this pain and any other ways to help ease it..... Also I wasn't given much info when I left hospital other than I have to have my staples removed next Wednesday jut wondering about bathing/ showering ?? And if I need to keep my dressing on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Re: 3 days post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan21kelly View Post
Well it's been 3 days since my TAH, I came home yesterday after feeling brill, nothing like I was expecting so like am idiot I did a few small jobs but boy did I suffer last night with the pain, I'm also struggling with gas pain in my shoulder I was advised to lay down but this is when it seems to come on i get up regular and take a walk but everyte I lay down it returns I was awake most of the night and slept kinda sat up, does anyone know how long I'm likely to have this pain and any other ways to help ease it..... Also I wasn't given much info when I left hospital other than I have to have my staples removed next Wednesday jut wondering about bathing/ showering ?? And if I need to keep my dressing on
Hey princess!

Welcome to the other side!!!!!...and posting 3 days post-op! Well done!

Now that the pep talk is over you naughty girl, I have to stress that you should be RESTING!!!!! You have had major surgery princess and your body was telling you that it's just not ready to do anything yet. I cannot stress enough how important it is for you and your body to take it easy. Be patient with yourself. You deserve it and your body deserves the time to recover. It will be better for your health in the long run. Heal right, princess and heal right the first time. So from now on, pamper the princess and rest, rest, rest.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder pain and yes, you are correct that it is the gas. Unfortunately there isn't much that you can do until the 'bubbles' of gas that are trapped in your ribcage area slowly leave. I did the same as you and slept (or tried to) propped up with a couple of pillows (or as many as you need). It is early days yet and each day will be better than the previous. But, it wouldn't hurt to ring the hospital staff that looked after you and ask them for further advice, not only on the shoulder pain but also on your stitches etc. Rule of thumb, when something is concerning you, or worrying you, or you need further info, don't hesitate to call your doctor princess. They have a duty of care to you as their patient that doesn't just end when the surgery itself is over. Peace of mind, goes a long way to helping you recover and they cannot help you if they are not aware of your concerns.

I had a Total laproscopic hysterectomy so my instructions with my stitches would be different to yours but, I was told to shower with the waterproof dressings on gently, until day 4 by letting the water gently wash over the incisions, no scrubbing or rubbing. So I use to soap up my hand and gently pat it over the tummy and rinse by cupping the shower water as it dropped into my hands and over the wounds. Then a gentle pat with the towel and a quick dry on gentle again with the hair dryer. Day 4, removed dressing and washed over the stitches by same method and sometimes soaping up a face washer and squeezing the suds out and over the wounds from just above the area. Same with rinsing...be gentle and then a quick warm air drying with the hair dryer. You have had staples so might be wise to check with the doctor first. Also, I was told no baths or swimming for 8 weeks and that includes being cheeky (if you know what I mean )....8 weeks there as well.

From our sister's posts princess, we may have had the same surgery but we are all different and we have been given different instructions according to our doctors, so check with your doctor first just to be on the safe side. But, don't worry. You will be just fine and you will be great!!!

Take care princess and hope you get your answers soon. But remember, rest, rest, rest and pamper, pamper, pamper.

Hugs galore, xoxo.
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM

Thank you for the reply, I'm goi g to defo try and rest now, had a lot of visitors today and lots of stuff happening so totally worn out, I find it amazing how worn out I actually get by doing the
simplest of things, iv also been sick today which was horrendous on the wound but hopefully that has passed, I guess I just need to get used to the fact that I need to take it easy, iv had a few telling a off today from friends and I really don't want to be laid up any longer than I need to be, thank you for your advise, hope you are well xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan21kelly View Post
Thank you for the reply, I'm goi g to defo try and rest now, had a lot of visitors today and lots of stuff happening so totally worn out, I find it amazing how worn out I actually get by doing the
simplest of things, iv also been sick today which was horrendous on the wound but hopefully that has passed, I guess I just need to get used to the fact that I need to take it easy, iv had a few telling a off today from friends and I really don't want to be laid up any longer than I need to be, thank you for your advise, hope you are well xx
No thanks necessary princess. That's what all the sisers are here for, so keep listening to your body and take it easy. You will feel fatigue very easily and that's part and parcel of your recovery so hence the resting and taking it easy.

Sorry about being sick as well, but always good when any pain or discomfort passes.

So keep looking after yourself, listen to your friends and your body and you'll be on your way to a happier, healthier you.

Hugs galore, xoxo
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:39 AM

Hi Jan, congratulations on a successful surgery! I can say to you that right now you are doing way to much. You need to slow down and let your body heal. Slowing down and resting is a hard thing for most of us to do because we feel that we should be doing more. But resting is exactly what we have to do in order for our bodies to heal. We start feeling good on the outside and forget that our insides need a little more time to heal. So right now you should drink a lot of water, eat a lot of fiber ( like the gas, constipation is no fun), take your pain meds as scheduled , walk a little each hour that you are not resting ( not marathons) to start just a little around inside your house, and rest, rest, rest. Notice that cleaning, washing dishes, doing yard work, vacuuming etc was no where on the list

One thing to keep in mind is that you only get one chan to heal right the first time. You just had major surgery and your body has been through a lot. You'll be exhausted for a while, but day by day, little by little you will improve. Recovery is a process, some good days some not so good but you will get to where you need to be.

Click on this link and you'll find post op hysterectomy checkpoints. It gives you a reasonable expectation of your recovery at each stage. It is information good to know especially since your doctor didn't give you much.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_pst.htm

I had a TAH and my recovery was fairly easy and my pain was manageable, and even though it was very hard to rest and follow my doctors instructions ( well i did mostly ) it was neccessary. Take care and let your body heal.

Lots of ((HUGS)) to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register