Vaginal Hyster. in 3 weeks - - HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Hyster. in 3 weeks - - HELP! Vaginal Hyster. in 3 weeks - - HELP!

Unread 07-10-2001, 05:01 PM
Vaginal Hyster. in 3 weeks - - HELP!

Hi all! Boy am I glad to have found this website! :-) I just heard from my dr today and she wants me to have a TVH July 31st. I have a bazillion questions and it all a seems to fast. I was going to wait until December but.....well....I guess it's best to get it overwith. My questions from anyone who has been here are.......how is recovery...how long....any tips.....what about resuming sexual relations......oh yeah ...and biggie....what about pain...I'm nervous...any help anyone can give or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...I'm not even sure exactly what to ask when I see the dr next...any suggestions! Thanks for your help!....I'm having this due to several bleeding , blood clots and cramping.....no cancer or other concerns .....thanks yeah...I bet you can tell ---I'm a nervous nellie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2001, 05:54 PM

Hi Teri, Welcome to one of the best places to be. To get answers to your questions, read the pull down menu for Ladies in Waiting (LIW) There are all sorts of topics to read that well answer many of your questions. I had a TVH almost 10 weeks ago. Remember, everyone's experience is different, but I would wish you an experience like mine. My surgery was for multiple fibroids. I kept my ovaries. Surgery and recovery went very smoothly for me. No nausea or pain after surgery or during recovery. I only had twinges here and there, nothing to really complain about. I attribute my good recovery to being a very good princess, resting all the time, being pampered like a good princess should be. Do get yourself and your household prepared, such as stocking the freezer with food that's easy to heat, clean your house before your surgery, no housework after your surgery for at least 6-8 weeks. Be sure to have help when you come home. Take it easy, keep your feet up. The Hystersister book can be purchased here and that's filled with lots of info too. Being nervous is normal. I was an emotional roller coaster pre op. I think the fear of the unknown takes over your life, but being informed will get you thru. You may have heard, waiting is the hardest. I laugh at myself for all the time I wasted worrying and crying over my surgery. I think the worry and nervous part is just a part we all go thru when we are faced with something major in our life like surgery. Wishing you the best in your surgery and a speedy painfree recovery. Teri, if you have any questions, feel free to email me. Jan
Unread 07-10-2001, 07:37 PM
vag. hyst

Hi, I had a TVH back in February and I was a nervous wreck beforehand. I was told it takes 2 - 6 week to recover. It took me 4-5 weeks. I was able to walk and take care of myself while still in the hospital. It was getting the energy back, being able to walk for longer periods and do heavier tasks that took longer. I did have some pain afterwards which faded as time progressed. I was paranoid about sharp feelings on my right side but I think it was from internal stitches and it all subsided. At the time, I was so paranoid about it and calling the MD office. I had sex approximately 7 weeks after and it wasn't totally comfortable initially. We had to be slower in the beginning and get back into it gradually. (this might have been due to my episiotomy which most people do not get with a TVH). Anyway, I thought it would never feel the same again, but it did after a month or so and I am presently not having any problems. It's important to give yourself time to recover and to refrain from doing too much. It's not easy to do, but we have to let things fall apart for awhile in order to regain our strenght.
Good luck!
Stores
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2001, 07:41 PM

Teri - you sound like me! Heavy bleeding with period (one or one and a half day's worth), clotting (big, small, and major), and cramping. I too have been offered a hyst., and haven't decided whether to go with it or not. I feel unworthy after reading many of the posts here, and the problems these women had to merit a hysterectomy!
Unread 07-10-2001, 08:10 PM
TVH in one week

Hi i am scheduled to have a TVh next week july 18th. you hear so many horror storys , that i am so nervous about having it done.Went to the docter he said i had fibroids and a inlarged uterus and i needed a TVH. Elaine
Unread 07-10-2001, 08:34 PM

You found a great source of information by finding this website. I had a LAVH/BSO on 6/21 and am having my 3 week post-op checkup this Thursday. I've been a good and have done no heavy lifting, have tried to stay off my feet (although I'm adicted to my computer and probably sit too long), no housework. I was in the castle overnight. My Dr didn't know if he would do an LAVH or TAH due to the size and position of my fibroids. Thankfully, I scheduled my surgery before the fibroids grew much bigger and he could use LAVH. Here's my schedule of when things happened:

Pain meds in the castle: morphine, ibuprofen
Dismissal from the castle: 24 hrs after surgery
Pain meds at home: ibuprofen (600 mg), percoset - took them the first 1-1/2 weeks, afterwards only at night
Started HRT therapy - day I got home from castle
Twinges, tweaks, internal "grips" - beginning the 3rd week after surgery.
Able to drive short distances from home - after 1st week

I do everything in moderation, but am slowly building my time "up". The longest I've been out of the house was 4 hours on Sunday (to go to church & out to eat afterwards). I was pooped by the time I got home.

You'll get lots of support here. And now for you:

Unread 07-11-2001, 02:48 AM

I want to say something to Sandy.....
Please don't say you're "unworthy" after reading the other stories!
IMO, there's no such thing as a necessary or unnecessary hysterectomy.
There's only INFORMED CHOICE. When you have made the choice, then it is necessary or unnecessary, based on your choice only.
Read everything you can. Be aware of the advantages and disadvantages, but be FULLY aware before you decide what to do. I think the reason many hysters are labelled "unnecessary" is because women were not aware in advance what they were getting themselves into. Had they known, they might have chosen another path.
If you decide, knowing all there is to know, to go ahead, then it is a necessary procedure.
I have read all I can about it. This site, of course, has been a tremendous resource. I have decided that the disadvantages of the procedure are minor compared to the total lack of quality of life I have these days due to severe anemia, constant cramping and pain, constipation and hemmorhoids (my fibroids are huge and lean directly on my rectum as my uterus is totally upside-down) and bleeding over 50% of every month. My informed choice is to go ahead with the procedure, therefore, in my case, it is a NECESSARY surgery, and no one can tell me otherwise. The fact that my doctor has been after me to do this for several years is meaningless. It just because necessary because I decided it is.
I hope this is making sense.
Good luck!
Unread 07-11-2001, 06:18 AM

Hey, someone to wait with me!!! I am having my lavh/bso on July 30th! Due to endo. What I have found is reading the pull down menus and searching for things that bug me that day are great. I am addicted to this site and have gained a ton of info here. It is a great group of women who are all in this together. I would also suggest getting into the chat group sometime. I know that when my nerves are at their worst, it really calms me to go there and just listen sometimes. Good luck and keep up the positive spirit.

Missy
e-mail anytime mgilles@sherbtel.net

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register