Scheduled surgery during period on purpose | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled surgery during period on purpose Scheduled surgery during period on purpose

Unread 09-08-2001, 03:28 PM
Scheduled surgery during period on purpose

I know about all the talk about people being concerned about having period during surgery but I had to actually do this. The first time in my life I got to schedule something while having my period. Now watch I probably won't get it or I'll be late. If I have to be in pain since nothing in my mouth after midnight I will be loving to get that epidural in. Thank God it's an early morning surgery. Dr said recovery is much better when done the first two weeks of the menstrual cycle. Since surgery is only done on Mondays and my period is due on a Tuesday I get to wait an extra week so will probably be finished with the pain meds only to have to start up again after surgery. I think it's kind of funny because I've spent half my time trying to schedule things when I wasn't bleeding and now I get to schedule on purpose during that time. Anyone else have to do this on purpose Had to share this to brighten someone's day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2001, 03:46 PM

I'm glad that you are happy with your surgery date

I guess this will rest our minds that being on our period really isn't a problems
Unread 09-08-2001, 06:15 PM

I didn't schedule my surgery for when I was due to start my period on purpose, but it just worked out that way. Actually I was supposed to start on Tuesday and I don't know if it was pre-surgery nerves or what but I never started. Told doctor I was expecting my period and they said it didn't matter if I had it or not they could do surgery anyway (TAH/BSO 1/5/01). I was feeling all my usual pre-period symptoms when I went to the hospital but never really started flowing. I find it interesting that your doctor said recovery was better if surgery was done during first two weeks of your cycle. I had an easy recovery and now am wondering if maybe that had something to do with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2001, 07:26 PM

My surgery fell on the first day of my period. Doctor said, "Don't worry, I will take care of that problem." I had a TAH and I spotted for no longer than 24 hours after surgery. This was just part of the healing process initially. It was not a big deal at all. Actually, I hardly spotted at all.
Unread 09-09-2001, 01:41 PM

I had gotten my period 8 days before my surgery, and was still flowing some on the day of surgery. The spotting I had for a few days post-op was much less than even the lighter flow I had going in. About 5 days after my surgery, I was able to toss out my pads FOREVER!!!! (I actually gave them to a friend).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register