ovaries when do they wake up?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovaries when do they wake up?? ovaries when do they wake up??

Unread 09-21-2006, 03:09 PM
ovaries when do they wake up??

Hi ladies
here's a question for anyone. how do we know if our ovaries have woken up and are functioning??? any suggestions or answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2006, 03:23 PM

I believe at just over 2 weeks, mine started to 'wake up'. In the 2 weeks prior, I was having hot flashes. More in the evening than the day but always starting about 4:30 in the afternoon.

I have only had one in 24 hours. I am optimistic that that is what is happening. Also I am less weepy than I have been in the past week or so.

I think the comments on here before have said 3 to 5 weeks. There was someone in the past couple of days whom said her Drs had decided hers weren't 'waking' but they did like maybe 12 weeks out.

Julie
Unread 09-21-2006, 05:14 PM

My ovaries seemed to be fine right after surgery. Now I've had two hot flashes at almost 16 weeks. One of the Sisters said it might not be a sign of failing ovaries - maybe they're just evening out yet so I should keep track. It seems to be so different for everyone.
Hope things look up soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2006, 11:25 PM

My ovaries took about two weeks to wake up.

I was having hot flashes prior to the surgery and they became much worse after surgery. After surgery my night sweats seemed to be impossible, but I survived.

Six months post op and I am still having hot flashes. The 'heat' is less since surgery but I know have them more often.
Unread 09-21-2006, 11:42 PM

I asked my doc the other day at my post op appt when the hot flashes will go away, and she told me its sometimes a part of recovery, and it's nothing hormonal. I'm just a tish confused bout that statement.

I didn't wake up sweaty last nite tho and it was kinda nice. ~Anju
Unread 09-22-2006, 12:21 AM
very confused

I Had a Tah plus cervix Sept 13 2006 I have been feeling pretty good until today I have found myself crying and carring on for no reason. I was able to keep both ovaries so why all the tears today. I will call my doc tomarrow but was wondering if thus was something other women have experianced when I ran across this post about ovaries waking up. my doc did not say anything about feeling emotional.
I feel kind of silly I am home with my familys support and love but I feel alone whats that about
sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I was wondering what you meant by ovaries waking up.
Unread 09-22-2006, 07:23 AM

I keep both of my ovaries. I had surgery back in March. I was having a lot of problems the main thing was the depression. I called my dr and they did blood work. We found out that my estrogen levels were low. I am now on the patch. I have been for about 2 months and I feel so much better. The thing is I don't know if this mean my ovaries are not going to work or if they are still asleep. I do go back in Oct to the dr. Maybe he can explain some of this to me. I hope because I'm really confused.
Unread 09-22-2006, 08:47 AM

I only have one ovary due to radiation (one was moved out of the field) and that one started to fail several months after treatments were over. I asked my doc for an fsh test, and that proved I little ovarian function. I was getting hot flashes and was moody as all get out - just ask my family!!

I went to see an acupuncturist that I knew and had seen before to see of there was anything he could do for the hot flashes, as I did not want to take HRT. He said he could possibly help me with my ovarian function, but it might take awhile, but he could definataly help with the hot flashes. I was thrilled. After the first treatment I never had another hot flash. I continues with him for another month, had an appt with my gyn onc and asked for another fsh blood test. The test came back and I past with flying colors! It actually read "significant increased ovarian function". Acupuncture is not for everyone, but it could be worth a shot.
Unread 09-22-2006, 02:08 PM

noname123 - Sometimes (or maybe most of the time) this surgery can shock the ovaries into ceasing to function for awhile. This of course does weird things to hormone levels. As you can see there are differing opinions as to how long one can expect it to take for them to see "morning" again.
Your emotionalism is totally normal though, ovaries or not. Between the stress of surgery (and waiting for it), the pain killers, the general anesthesia and depending on your level of emotion regarding the loss of the uterus, you have the RIGHT to be a little messed up, and you will be. Just try to keep one part of your brain clear enough to keep telling yourself "This too shall pass." It will!

You are way early in this here little game, and there will be good times and bad times. However, if you start having long periods (days) of bad times, talk to your doctor about some temporary help in the form of hormones or whatever he/she sees fit. Expect to feel badly at times, but you do not have to feel terrible for long bouts, physically or mentally.

Jasmine - Lucky you! You asked for and got an fsh test. I asked and was told "I don't really believe the numbers. I treat symptoms." whereupon I was put on estrogen, testosterone and progesterone. Now I'm more worried about what all THAT might do as opposed to just being b****y and bawling all the time. So far, I am sleeping better but have a case of acne that puts the ultimate 13 year old class geek to shame. Never had flashes, did have sweats but they stopped as soon as I quit taking a certain thyroid med. Go figure.

Aren't we the most amazing creatures?

to all!

Z.
Unread 09-22-2006, 02:23 PM

I had hot flashes and night sweats alot after surgery and then all of a sudden they stopped at about three to four weeks post op. It has been six months since surgery and for the past three months I have had some of the same symptoms of my period, minus cramps and bleeding of course, yeah! So it's like I still go through a monthly something because my ovaries are working, which is good. I get the sore breasts, feel I am retaining fluid, and the six hour headache just like I use to get every month. I do know the likelihood of ovary failure is alot higher now but even with all of the monthly symptoms, I hope the estrogen continues to flow for awhile and menopause is still a few years off in the future. Hope things work out good for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register