Surgery options...ovary only or take it all out? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery options...ovary only or take it all out? Surgery options...ovary only or take it all out?

Unread 07-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Surgery options...ovary only or take it all out?

I am a 48 yr old woman with a non functional (mother & daughter), complex cyst on my right ovary. I feel confident after the opinions of two doctors that the cyst needs to come out, and am pretty confident that I will do it through traditional surgery (cut & open) as the cyst is pretty large. The doctor I just saw for a second opinion would not do the surgery laparoscopically or through the vagina due to the size of the cyst as it could leak or burst.

This doctor I saw for a second opinion was very confident, experienced, and I liked him very much. He does a great deal of gynecological surgery in his practice. Additionally, a friend had a hysterectomy done by this doctor a couple of months ago (due to classic fibroid pain and bleeding problems), speaks highly of him, and is pleased with her outcome. My former gynecologist/family friend gives him very high marks and has worked with him as well.

I have followed the cyst for three months now, and it's not going to go away. I also found out in June that I have 5-6 asymptomatic fibroid tumors. I do occasionally have brown bleeding between periods, and some cramping the first day of my period, but nothing like the horrific pain and bleeding that some people experience when they have fibroids. For the most part, my fibroids are not causing me problems. I did not even know I had them til this past month.

The cyst on my ovary does not appear to have a blood supply that might indicate cancerous growth...which is a good thing so far. But if the doctor goes in and removes only the right ovary...and three days later the biopsy comes back cancerous...I'll probably need to get "everything" taken out anyway, and this could cost me up to $3,000 more out of pocket for a second operation (my insurance is not so great...I'm unemployed and paying my own).

So, my dilemma here is what to do. This second doctor (as well as my original gynecologist) suggested I might want to consider "getting it all out" at my age. The second doctor told me this would be his recommendation to his wife (who is apparently a doctor too). I feel on the verge of tears just thinking about all of this. I don't know what to do! I am concerned about facing the symptoms of menopause such as depression, heart disease, dementia, not feeling like a woman...I'm sure many people have had the same concerns. I know lots of women have hysterectomies that some people feel are not necessary. Thus, my confusion here!

My personal history is this...I had a cyst removed from my left ovary 17 yrs ago. In 2003 I had biopsies on my breast, cervix, and colon. They all came out o.k., but the stress of waiting for biopsy results darn near killed me. My mother had DCIS breast cancer two yrs ago and had a double mastectomy. She is fine now. My maternal grandmother had uterine, cervical and breast cancer (that disappeared when her cervix was removed). I am a generally healthy person who eats well and exercises pretty regularly. In the last year I lost 26 lbs and am only slightly overweight for my size.

I would prefer to keep body parts that I came into this world with if possible. I am a pretty straight forward person who can look at a situation and evaluate it somewhat objectively. However, I am really struggling with this present situation. Each time I have had a health "scare", the stress has been very hard on me. I feel like I wait for "the bomb" to drop on my head. I wonder would I be better off "getting it all out" and not having to worry about future biopsies? I just don't know what to do, and feel like I want to run away to a deserted island and stick my head in the sand so I don't have to deal with this.

Anyone got input that might help me? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Re: Surgery options...ovary only or take it all out?

I had to have a complete hysterectomy due to prolapse. I can honestly say that I have not felt better. My periods used to be heavy with cramps so I am looking forward to not having to deal with that. As for emotions, I am not doing any HRT's and feel fine. I feel more emotionally normal now than I have in a long time. My surgery was June 10th and I feel better everyday. I don't know if this helps. My pathology report did come back with stage 1 uterine cancer, so I am glad that I had everything done. Three parts that I don't have to worry about anymore. :-)
Unread 07-19-2009, 06:17 PM

kathyd62
Thank you so much for your reply. I am happy to hear that you had "everything out" with the information about your pathology report. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Today I did a lot of research online...almost overwhelming. However, I came across a suggestion for a book (well reviewed) which I ended up buying today, and it has already influenced my thinking (I flew thru 250 pages today, some chapters were not applicable to my situation).
I am considering "stopping & breathing", researching, thinking, evaluating, deciding, planning...then doing. I may wait a bit to do whatever I do. I need to check with the doctor(s), but may plan this out a bit better without rushing into anything.
If you're interested in the book title it is "The Essential Guide To Hysterectomy, A Gynocologists's Advice on Your Choices Before, During and After Surgery - Including Alternatives to Hysterectomy" by Lauren F. Streicher, MD. She is a doctor at Northwestern and my sister-in-law is a pediatrician and (unpaid) professor at Northwestern, so I may have her check this gal out. My sister-in-law and I have spoken, but she has told me she knows it is a personal and difficult decision to make. I have felt good when I talked to her about this, even though she can't give me the "right answer" about what to do. It is so personal. I have a call into my sister-in-law's sister, as she had a hysterectomy, so we'll see what she has to say...
So, again, thank you for you note. You are the first person to reply to me personally, and I won't forget that!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2009, 06:23 PM

You are welcome. I totally agree that it is a personal decision. What is right for one, isn't right for the other. You truly have to do what is right for you. Keep me posted. Do you live in Chicago? I am originally from So. Minnesota. Living in Tampa, FL now, but miss the Midwest terribly. :-)
Unread 07-19-2009, 06:55 PM

Actually I live in Ann Arbor Michigan. Grew up here, went to school here. Coincidentally, I spent many summers in Brandon Florida with a family business. (Have you been to Berns Steak House in Tampa? If not, you must save up and go!) And...my father is from Rochester Minnesota as is much of my family.

Small world, eh?

I have been back here for two years now. I was living in Albuquerque New Mexico for ten years which was beautiful, but I felt was killing me. Being away from family and friends, and my job responsibilites changing and increasing enormously! I missed my brothers who both live in Chicago, and my parents in Ann Arbor.

I missed the seasonal changes of the Midwest, and have now in my "old age" decided that I am quite simply a "Midwestern girl", and will not make any excuses for it!

Can't wait til fall...my favorite season.
Unread 07-19-2009, 08:08 PM

Yes it is a small world. Yes, I have been to Bern's. It is our favorite "special" place to go. My whole family is from Waseca which is due West on Hwy 14. I have spent many days in Rochester when family was in hospital over there. I miss the Fall so much. I remember that when we lived in Charlotte, NC I told my husband how I loved the smell of Fall and he said what does it smell like. I told him that if he didn't know, I couldn't explain it to him. :-) My whole family still lives in Waseca which is nice as I can always still go home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register