LAVH Recovery Stories Please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH Recovery Stories Please LAVH Recovery Stories Please

Unread 10-10-2006, 11:25 AM
LAVH Recovery Stories Please

Hi Ladies

Surgery in one week, and I have a work deadline and can't focus. I hate surgery and I hate hospitals! Strange, because I was a great EMT and I worked for 2 years as a surgery tech. Maybe that is where it comes from?

Anyway, I am nervous, irritable and not getting my work done, so I thought "what will make me feel better (besides a valium?)"

1. stories about recovery from an LAVH (they say I may be in there for 2 nights...how can that be?)

2. time frames for exercise. If I can't get any exercise in in a reasonable period of time, I am likely to blow a gasket.

3. driving: is it really 2 weeks? As a single mom with a first grader, it would be nice to know how to get her to school.

4. what the best thing you have found post op?

5. Positive techniques you used to deal with fear and anxiety? (besides verced!)

6. Help: how long will I need someone to help me at home? Again, as a single mom, I am going to need some help, but it will be nice to know how soon I can send my mother home :-)

That is all for now, thanks in advance!

Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2006, 12:05 PM

I also had a daughter that was 5 at the time of my surgery. I had a LAVH. I am a single mom but I do live with my boyfriend. My mom and sister keep my daughter for me the 2 week after surgery. They would bring her by after school every afternoon but on weekends when my boyfriend did not have to work she would stay with us. The main reason she stayed with them was because I could not drive. Once I was able to drive she stayed with us. She was wonderful. She knew that I was sore was not able to do a lot of things with her. She would get in bed with and watch TV or I would read with her. Kids are more understanding then we think. Just remember do not over do it. I picked up some firewood about 1 and 1/2 after surgery and pull some stiches. I started bleeding and lots of pain. I know that the waiting is the hardest part. I was lucky I did not have any major problem and I was driving and going at 3 weeks but everyone is different. I did go back to work after 4 weeks which was really tough.
Unread 10-10-2006, 12:12 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I wonder if my daughter should stay with my mom for awhile after the surgery? I just called my mom to find out what she would like to do and since she lives close, she said she could come by and get my daughter ready for school and pick her up if need be. I hope I can get to the point where I can get her to the bus and back by myself, hopefully sooner than later.

How are you feeling now? Are you all recovered?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2006, 12:18 PM

I had surgery in March. I did keep my ovaries. They are still not working right. My dr has put me on a patch. But everything else is great. I do not regret this at all and I would do it again.
Unread 10-10-2006, 12:20 PM

It is good to hear that you have no regrets.

I plan on keeping my ovaries as well, can I ask why your don't seem to be working? What is that like? Will they "kick in" eventually? What does the doctor say about that?
Unread 10-10-2006, 12:26 PM

I was having hot flashes, night sweats and really bad depression. It went on for a 2 months. I finally called my dr. I had to have some blood work done. I estrogen levels are very low. I was told that they might start working again and they might not. He told it could take up to a year. So, all I can do is wait and see. Now that I am on the patches I do feel a lot better. Sometime your ovaries and go to sleep. You will see some post on it and then some women don't have is problem.
Unread 10-10-2006, 12:30 PM

I wish you the very best in dealing with your sleeping ovaries.
I hope they wake up soon.

Take good care :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register