Physical job | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Physical job

I have a pretty physical job that requires alot of lifting and to be outdoors without a bathroom for 15 hours at a time. ( which made my heavy periods fun!) I have talked to my Dr. and she says 8 weeks min off work for my TAH. I was wondering if any other sisters with physically demanding jobs could tell me how long they were off work. My job is very understanding, as I just mentioned the word uterus and they cringed and said however long you need off is fine. ( with full pay!) I work with all men. I was really hoping to be back at work faster ( 6 weeks) Thanks in advance for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Physical job

As far as recovery goes, the way I see it, they can tell you how long they want you to be off, but it doesn't seem like you will really know until after your surgery. I have a physical job as well (not as physical as yours, it seems), I am a labor and delivery nurse on the night shift. My doc said I should be off for 6 weeks after my TAH because I never know when I will have to pick some lady up off of the bathroom floor. He did say it would be possible for me to go back sooner afterward, but that would depend on how my recovery was going. I think I will just take the six weeks off, unless I just can't stand being home all of the time.
wooshmoosh
Unread 08-29-2007, 01:23 AM
Physical job

I am in my 6th week of recovery. I've been in the best shape physically ever, heavy into physical training, all types of cardio and weight training with heavy weight to build as much bulk as possible w/o enhancement. I am not even considering gym work for another 2 weeks. I've been doing a little power walking, but this is all I can manage. I would suggest that you take the entire 8 weeks in light of your jobs physical demands. Any tiny amount of internal bleeding (which you won't even feel) can lead to adhesion growth which may or may not need surgical removal later. Also, alot of the sistah's in my recovery group are having fatigue issues after starting back to their desk job at 5-6 weeks. I'm usually tired enough to take a nap by 3pm. Because your job is so demanding, you may want to consider asking your employer to allow you to start back with 1/2 days until you get your legs under you again. In my wildest dreams, I never thought this would take the wind out of my sails this dramatically. But like Wmoosh said everyone is different. Sure wish I was 20 again Good luck, hopefully you'll just bounce right back! But please do remember that we have only one chance to heal properly.....Don't push it, unless of course, a tsunami is closing in on you!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register