shaved too much??? what to do? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

shaved too much??? what to do? shaved too much??? what to do?

Unread 03-20-2010, 11:46 AM
shaved too much??? what to do?

embarrassing but...my doc told me to shave a few days before the TAH in case I nick my self or anything. She said to my bone. Reading on here I see she meant the top--oh well I did the whole area. I remember after my c-section (26 years agao LOL) how it itched like crazy growing back! Anyway--it's too late now to do anything about it but I didn't shave close enough--I still have tiny stubble like hair in the area. I need to get at least the top down to almost nothing or the bandages will pull. I used a straight razor and a venus one. Any suggestions or tips? Can I use anything to ward off infection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Re: shaved too much??? what to do?

oh my! lol

well-they gave me something at my preop apt to shower in the morning of my surgery called beta-sept for killing any germs i might have had on my skin

so-if they didnt give you anything like that, then maybe if you are concerned about it-you could shower with some antibacterial soap-like Dial or something!

good luck to you!
Unread 03-20-2010, 12:59 PM

Hi,

They use an anti-bacterial scub on your skin before making the cut. My doctor didn't. Ask me to shave so I didn't. They didn't either. Yeh no itching!! Hope this helps.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2010, 01:04 PM

What if you try an electric? You won't nick yourself that way (more than likely). Otherwise, just use some shaving cream and have at it. I would say that today is still fine for shaving. Helk, you would have stubble by Wednesday anyway. Just do your best. They'll take care of anything if there is a problem.
Unread 03-20-2010, 01:25 PM

It's intereseting my doc so they don't shave but trim to reduce the risk of infection. I was also told to shower with Dial soap the evening before and the morning of the surgery, leaving the soap on the abdomen for 2 min. to have an extra barrier to ward off any infection. I would say leave it the way it is now.
Unread 03-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Electric shavers can burn and cause a 'rash'. I use baby powder when i shave close and it seems to help with reducing the 'burn rash'. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't.

HWM
Unread 03-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Still LOL at myself. Thanks all :-) I have a solution HIBICLENS (chlorhexidine) to wash with in the morning of the surgery. I actually applied neosporin (after checking with the pharmacist) and I feel better :-) I think I am just going to let it go and if they need me shaved closer--they can do it :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register