Cut fron TAH is not healing great | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cut fron TAH is not healing great Cut fron TAH is not healing great

Unread 04-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Cut fron TAH is not healing great

hello all, My TAH/BSO was on the 23rd of March. I had the stitches checked on the 30th and told I could take a shower and all looked good. The cut has since started opening up in a few places, but one spot looked the worst. The dr said come in he will take a look. When he seen me he said I was looking good (I am standing straight and no pain)so when he checked the cut he could see I wasn't exaggerating. he said it is a mild infection and a small cavity beneath that one bad spot. He pressed around to make sure no pus came out and all was good.He gave me another anti biotic and sporasec just in case but asked me to hold off taking anything unless I see it oozing or looking worse.I was put on two antibiotics to take together after the surgery and I think he is afraid of overuse and more trouble for me with a yeast inf. I am a little bit nervous about the cut ESP since I have had a great recovery so far.Anyone else had any trouble with their cut after?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Re: Cut fron TAH is not healing great

I had a stitch that was poking out and kept a tiny spot open. I just watched it and kept it clean, however, at about 4 weeks post-op, it got painful and started oozing pus. I went to the ER and they gave me Keflex. On the Keflex, it healed up in about a week. I would do as the doctor recommends and keep an eye on it.
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:21 AM

I went to my GP yesterday for the same thing and was told I have a mild infection as well. He put me on 2 types of antibiotics and will re-check Tuesday to see if it was caught in time. If not, he says it may have to be cut and drained!

Hope you heal quickly with no other complications!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2012, 05:04 PM

I had TAH on 3/2. All went well until day 9 when my incision opened up in several spots and started draining blood. My doctor checked me every couple days after that for the next two weeks. I was lucky in that it never became infected and that the openings were fairly shallow (never deep enough to pack!). Over time, the drainage changed to a mostly clear/slightly pink fluid then finally stopped completely this week (day 32). The openings have finally completely closed too. While healing, I was told to not put anything on them but just cover with non-stick pads. Nothing else was necessary unless I ran a fever or noticed signs of infection. Long story short, as shallow as my openings were, they still took 3 whole weeks to close up. It was scary and it was hard to be patient but it did eventually heal! Hope you heal quickly!
Unread 04-06-2012, 05:46 PM

My scar opened up in three places, each one about an inch and a half long and almost an inch deep. They were all infected. Doc put me on an antibiotic and had me clean and pack the wound twice a day. Basically now it had to heal from the inside out. Everything was closed up and healed up nicely by my 6 week check.
Unread 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Yep. Had one small open area yesterday at my 2 week post-op. Doc said to wash/dry and use triple antibiotic ointment. Well, my steri-strips started falling off today in the shower and now I have 2 open spots...grrr...so I am doing as directed and keeping a bit of sterile gauze on it now, held in place by my underwear so it allows air through.

I noticed, too, that my skin looks extra angry around where the bulk of the glue to hold the strips was. I know the first opening was caused by me scratching at night...wonder if my skin just hates that glue? Where the glue wasn't as thick, the incision looks pretty good. But where they literally globbed the stuff, it's red and has 2 small open spots...weird.

Hopefully it clears up in a few days. It's really only a few drops of blood here and there, but it's frightening and irritating.

Hope your infections clear up fast, ladies! Scary stuff and really disappointing this far into recovery. Hugs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register