TAH 4wks post op can I resume ZUMBA? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4wks post op can I resume ZUMBA? 4wks post op can I resume ZUMBA?

Unread 03-26-2013, 10:38 PM
4wks post op can I resume ZUMBA?

hello ladies I am 4 weeks post op. today i decided it was time to resume Zumba. well not what I expected I did very very low impact and even with my slow version I only lasted 20 minutes. I felt some type of cramps and a pain like something was pulling on both of the sides where my ovaries used to be. I left the class very upset and frustrated later I spotted a little bit nothing serious . My doctor told me on my last appointment (3wks) that it was ok to resume zumba but no high impact or twisting or stretching well that what zumba its about lol .
any advice will be greatly appreciated
best wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2013, 12:07 AM
Re: 4wks post op can I resume ZUMBA?

I'm really surprised that your doctor said Zumba was okay at three weeks after a TAH. S/he clearly has never done a Zumba class or even seen one. I had a pretty good recovery, released for most things at 4 weeks, but I had to work my way up to Zumba. My stomach would always swell up when I tried too much and then I would always end up having to always take a break.
I think you may need to table it for a little bit. Work your way up to it. Try a few lower impact workout and then gradually increase. You may have been released, but your body is still recovering. So listen to it. You can push it when it lets you, but back off and rest it when it tells you to. Good luck and be patient

((HUGS))
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:31 AM

I tried Zumba again at 6 weeks, and it kicked my butt! I managed to last the whole class, but it put me down for a day and a half. I tried it again at 9 and did much better. I'm just now getting nearly back to full speed, and it's been a little over 3 months. I still only go twice a week. It's all I want to push myself to do. Other days I just stick to walking my dogs. Give yourself longer to heal and go slower with the exercise. I know it's frustrating to stick to the dull stuff, but it doesn't last forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2013, 07:37 AM

As an Zumba Instructor, I would say that is way to soon! Your insides haven't totally healed yet. You don't want to have complications later down the line. Walking is always safe and there are great videos if you want to crank it up a bit.
I'm on day 6 post Taking everything out plus a bladder lift. So, take it easy, be kind to yourself!
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:48 AM

OUCH! the thought of zumba at 4 weeks made me whince!! Way too much twisting and reaching... I hope you feel better soon.
I agree, stick to the walking, perhaps incorperate some gentle muscle strengthening exercises. I found getting back to pilates at 6 weeks and GENTLY building up my abdominals was really useful. And helped support my back too.
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:53 AM

WOW way to soon! What about a yoga class. My Dr said no aerobic activity at least for 8 weeks. Every Doc is different though!
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM

Just looking at Zumba tells me no way for the first couple of months.

I can't wait to go back to my QiGong classes. Mild stretching and weight-bearing that can be modified easily, I did that during pregnancy.

Pleas be careful and take your time healing.
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:37 AM

OMGosh, I agree with - does your Doctor know what Zumba is? I had a TAH and just hit 5 weeks yesterday. I have been walking about an hour a day, but, last week, if I was out longer than hour - hour and a half, shopping, etc, I had to come home and "snuggle" with my ice pack. That sounds like bad advice from your doc! It sounds like your body is saying, "Um, hey, not ready for this yet!" Don't risk your recovery!

Be patient - this is a long recovery process. I know I have been frustrated by how far normal still seems. I've never had surgery before - it is an amazingly long recovery process! I have been holidng out for the magic 6 weeks, but as I get closer, I am now hoping 8 weeks is the "magic" week! It does help to focus on how much more you can do than the first week, rather than how far from normal you are.
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:08 PM

ladies thank you soooooo much for your answers is great to get opinions from women who knows what zumba is or practice zumba. I don't think my doctor knows how intense this workout can be. I will take your advice and I will walk for now. I been spotting since yesterday right after I finished my failed attempt to do zumba so I know now my body is not ready and like you ladies say is not worth it to interfere with healing process.
thank you again,
best wishes
Carolina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register