Supracervical hysterectomy, abdominoplasty, and hernia repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Supracervical hysterectomy, abdominoplasty, and hernia repair Supracervical hysterectomy, abdominoplasty, and hernia repair

Unread 12-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Supracervical hysterectomy, abdominoplasty, and hernia repair

Hi Ladies,

Three weeks ago I had a triple whammy surgery, including the supracervical hysterectomy.

I'm going to succinctly tell my story in the hopes it might help any of you out there in any of the variety of stages regarding hysterectomy.

First, I'm 40, and quite petite at 5' 2", and 109 lbs. After my second child was born, I looked about 2 months pregnant. Turns out I had a fibroid the size of a cantaloupe. I lived with it for over a year so I could nurse and wean my baby. My menstrual flow was incredibly heavy. I soaked through super tampons in less than an hour. I was anemic and exhausted - and chasing after two little boys didn't aid my level of energy.

My belly also protruded due to my diastasis recti (or abdominal wall separation.) Through physical therapy I was able to shrink the gap, but only so much.

Anyways, there was much anxiety going into the surgery for all the common reasons. But, boy am I glad I did it all, and it is behind me.

As for recovery, it's tough, but totally doable. I have a lot of support, and you'll need it too - esp. if you have young kids.

For my surgery, I had an epidural to help with the immediate post-op pain. I had a nausea patch behind my ear. I also woke up with oxygen in my nose, an IV in my arm, a catheter in my vagina, and the bottom of my legs were wrapped in these massage like mechanisms, to prevent blood clots. I had two drains, and one pain pump that was meant to deliver meds directly to my insides. This was activated after my epidural was removed. The most uncomfortable thing about it all, was my dehydration factor. It lasted about five days post-op. Unquenchable thirst. I've been told this had to do with the anti-nausea patch behind my ear. Drink lots of water. It helps.

I returned home after five days in the hospital. I took my last percocet my first night home. Thereafter I've been able to manage my pain with the use of X-tra strength Tylenol and Advil. Of course, every body is different, and each person has a different tolerance of pain.

I'm still hunched three weeks post-op - this has to do with the abdominoplasty or tummy-tuck. I understand if the TT was fairly aggressive, you can be stooped for 3-4 weeks post-op.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register