mesh from LSH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

mesh from LSH mesh from LSH

Unread 01-26-2010, 09:22 PM
mesh from LSH

I know this is a goofy question, but what is the mesh that is used in an LSH made of?

I have to have an MRI and Cat Scan and I'm assuming this will not be a problem?

I apologize if I posted in the wrong section.

Thank you,

Lizzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Re: mesh from LSH

((Lizzy320))

I am not sure I understand what you are asking. When an LSH is done, there is no reason to use any mesh. The only things I can think of that might require mesh would be if you also had some repairs done (rectocele, cystocele, etc.) or if you had needed some type of bladder sling. The only other thing that comes to mind is if some type of adhesion barrier was used but that would have dissolved by now.

In any case, none of the above should affect an MRI or CAT scan but you could double check with your doctor to be sure!

s
Unread 01-27-2010, 01:08 AM

Hi!
Actually, the surgeon used mesh to cover the cervix. I didn't know this was going to happen at the time as it was not mentioned to me until after the surgery.

I'd try my doctor but he is a real stinker to get any information out of. As a surgeon I guess he is good but as a doctor....let's just say he stuck me on a pain med I could not tolerate and wouldn't take me off it until the nurse intervened and got me on a pill I could take. His staff is little help.

He actually told me I had a small hernia but wouldn't tell me where it was!

I'm glad to hear that there is not a good chance of it being a problem.

Thanks,

Lizzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2010, 11:11 PM

Well, I have never heard of this before so I can't say for sure that it won't be a problem with the tests, but I wouldn't guess it would be.

Mention it to the doctor who is order the tests and see what s/he has to say. You could also request your surgical report from the hospital or doctor to find out exactly what was used or your current doctor could request the records.

Best wishes! s
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:25 PM

Actually I just had a LSH and when I asked the doctor before the operation if she would be cauterizing the cervix, she said yes and she mentioned that she would also be placing a mesh on top of the cervix. I'm assuming it was to prevent any adhesions to the site. I'll have to ask her more about it at my next post op appointment. This may be done more often than people realize. I wouldn't have known about it I hadn't asked about the cauterizing.
As for how long it lasts, I'm assuming it's permanent because she talked about having to go in again on a patient for a subsequent procedure and that she was pleased that the mesh was in place on this patient.

As for what the mesh is made of, unfortunately I don't have the answer for you on that one!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register