3 wks SAH and still numb/cold abdomen? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 wks SAH and still numb/cold abdomen? 3 wks SAH and still numb/cold abdomen?

Unread 06-01-2006, 08:56 AM
3 wks SAH and still numb/cold abdomen?

Hi Fellow Hystersisters,
I've been reading and learning from all your wonderful posts, pre- and post op. Thank you all!
Didn't pay any attention to this at first, (other pains were more noticiable then!) but I'm now THREE WEEKS, SAH, and feeling lots better, but my whole lower abdomen, belly button down, is still numb - all the way to the lower mons pubis. We're talking a pretty good size numb area here, girls, but I'd say it's more of a surface area. Like touching a foot that's asleep, and the touch registers in layers below the outer layer. It's darn right creepy feeling. Also, the skin is even cold to the touch. I wonder if this area is larger than usual? Is three weeks unusual? The incision has feeling, darn it, but not too bad, just a drawing, sometimes irritated feeling. It's a "bikini" cut, well, mine's more of a "two-piece bathing suit" cut if we're being picky. (It's higher than I thought it would be).
Anybody have such a large numb area with their abdominal incision?
If you didn't, I'd appreciate hearing from you sisters too to see if it's unusual or not. I still have three weeks before I check back in, so should I get this checked out now? Best to all you post-ops on your journeys, With much love, Asta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2006, 09:05 AM

No worries! Mine is still numb but very slowly going away. I only notice it now when a reach over something and the area hits what I am reaching over. Many princesses have told me that goes away after about a year to a year and a half. Hope that helps! Mine was numb just below my belly button, but is lower now. Take care! Patty
Unread 06-01-2006, 09:19 AM

HI Asta
I was at 4 weeks from a TAH yesterday and I still have numbness on my whole stomach area surrouding my incision and my dr assures me this is very normal
Lorrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2006, 10:42 AM

Mine is still numb. Dr said would take a year to come back if it ever fully comes back. You sort of get used to it after a while. You bump into things and don't really realize you are there. Aw the adventures we are having!
Unread 06-01-2006, 11:53 AM

You took the question right outta my mouth! LOL! I am 10 days post op and was checking in to ask that very question. Glad you asked it first, now we all know.
Unread 06-01-2006, 04:48 PM

I"m nearly 6 months post op, and that area is still a weensy bit numb, and it often feels cold to the touch - think I was told (or read here) that it's from all the muscles and nerve endings that were cut. It will get better. . .
C.
Unread 06-01-2006, 07:25 PM

It's not my abdomen that's numb so much, it's the top of my legs! It's driving me crazy when I try to shave way up there. I swear I thought I was going nuts! Thanks to all the wonderful posts I've read, I found out that I'm not crazy. The crazy thing is, I asked my Doctor about it on my 1 week post-op exam & he said he DIDNT KNOW! Guess I'll have to explain it to him when I see him next week for my 6 week post-op exam!!
Unread 06-02-2006, 03:35 AM

I'm still numb at one year+ post-op! It was a huge area ... hip to hip ... but is now a 'circle' in the middle. I was told it takes up to year for the nerves to 'reconnect', if at all.

If you do a forum search you'll find hundreds of posts on numb belly!

Unread 06-02-2006, 04:53 AM

I am at 5 weeks, and the skin is still numb on my belly. A little bit below my belly button I can feel temperature. When I get a little lower than that, I can't even feel how cold my fingertips are. I just tried and ice cube, and I can't feel how cold it is.
I had the same thing happen when I had my lower wisdom teeth out. I had nerve damage for months. The oral surgeon actually asked me to close my eyes, and proceeded to put an ice cube on my chin. I couldn't feel it.
I am assuming since I got the feeling in my chin back, that eventually the feeling in my belly will come back.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register