TAH Refill on pain meds?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Refill on pain meds?? Refill on pain meds??

Unread 10-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Refill on pain meds??

I'm told that my dr doesn't do refills and if she does there is usually something wrong. I don't deal with pain well. I tried doing only the 600 mg of ibrpofen today and was miserable. Is this normal? I had my TAH on 10-22-12. Left the ovaries. It seems crazy that a major surgery and they only give pain relief for a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Re: Refill on pain meds??

The OB's seem a little bit out of touch with pain management and in my case, underestimated my recovery time. Can you call your regular MD maybe they will give you some vicodion or something? Wow, that is rough, I'm sorry! Sure hope you feel better..
Unread 10-28-2012, 05:01 PM

Thank you. It surprised me because my surgeon had always been awesome with my other surgeries. More than enough pain relief for home. And those were minor surgeries compared to this. It is so much more rough than I expected. My recovery is going very good. Text book. I haven spotted once yet. My swells belly isn't too noticeable. I just hurt inside and out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2012, 08:29 PM

I think if you are honest & forthcoming she may surprise you. Alot of times they make it their default answer & don't want to encourage dependancy. But if you need them & explain why you feel so, you may & should get them. Good luck!
Unread 10-28-2012, 09:49 PM

Call and talk to your Dr. I am sure he will give you some more. I have had 3 prescriptions and going tomorrow for another seeing as how I am still in pain. I am also going to find out why I am still in pain and such as well. If you call and he doesn't give you more try your MD maybe he will give you some.
Unread 10-28-2012, 10:01 PM

Here is an article that explains some of the reasons surgeons do not refill pain medications: Why Won't My Doctor Refill My Pain Meds?

Unread 10-29-2012, 04:51 AM

I thought the general rule was that doctors avoided refilling prescriptions for any narcotic pain relief after the first week, and the article Weiser linked to mostly talked about side effects of narcotic drugs.

Ibuprophen is not a narcotic, and it's also an anti-inflammatory. I think the main issue for taking it long-term is you should not drink alcohol while taking it due to a higher likelihood of liver damage.

So, Long, definitely ask your doctor if she might refill a prescription for Ibuprophen.
Unread 10-29-2012, 07:26 AM

Hi Long,
I was given full doses of ibuprofen and paracetomol (called something else in USA acetomin or something) over the counter drugs and took them for about 3.5 weeks without issue. have a chat with the doc about how many non-narcs you can take. If you keep the doses up to date these 2 drugs work well together. Hopefully that would be enough. Get advice first though xxx
Unread 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcythia View Post
Ibuprophen is not a narcotic, and it's also an anti-inflammatory. I think the main issue for taking it long-term is you should not drink alcohol while taking it due to a higher likelihood of liver damage.

So, Long, definitely ask your doctor if she might refill a prescription for Ibuprofen.
Unfortunately, (((Long))) shared that the Ibuprofen alone is not working which is why she has questions.

(((Long))), were you able to get in touch with your doctor today? If you go in for an appointment, you doctor can examine you and then may be more willing to refill your pain meds and/or suggest options to go along with the Ibuprofen. For instance, staging over the counter Tylenol (acetaminophen) with the Ibuprofen might work as (((kazwaz))) mentioned worked for her.

in there!
Unread 10-29-2012, 11:56 AM

I did talk to her nurse today and she said to keep weening off of it. She didn't quite understand what I wa saying. But said if it continues to be painful to call again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register