Complications - just got out after 5 days, need some support | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Complications - just got out after 5 days, need some support Complications - just got out after 5 days, need some support

Unread 07-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Complications - just got out after 5 days, need some support

Hi Ladies,

Well, they finally did it. LVAH and apparently the procedure was a screaming success. Unfortunately, it didn't go well afterwards. My hemoglobin dropped to 71 and my BP was only 70/40. They were pretty worried for awhile. I also ended up with a UTI and they weren't able to remove the catheter. We tried on day two and it had to go back in, same thing on day three (torture) and then finally on day 5 it came out and I peed. They never transfused because I have been that low before and they are confident Im' not bleeding internally.

I'm only 28, the only reason we were doing the procedure is because of severe anemia, so they said if it stays above 70 I should be able to build up on my own now that I won't be having periods (yay)

The only problem is, I'm really suffering? Everyone said I would sail through this because of my age and that fact that I'm fit (even in hopsital was consistently satting at 100% on room air) yet I feel like someone put my body in a blender

I'm on antibiotics (macrobid) for the UTI, Tramadol and oxys for the pain, tyneol and advil for breakthrough, and something for nauseau and something to help me pee. It seems like so many meds and I'm scared to move. Having that catheter in so long and my BP so low they didn't let me move much.

So I just need some support and encouragement, is it normal to still be hurting at 6 days post-op? Is it safe for me to walk around? I will have someone with me in case I faint, but BP on discharge was 90/58 which is better.

Also, I had bowel movements Wednesday and Thursday and they were incredibly loose...almost like the prep. Now i haven't gone. They stopped the MoM and colace because it was so loose...should I start it again? I'm trying to eat but I have severe indigestion.

My brain is my own worst enemy, I get really scared and I worry alot and I'm afriad because I can't see inside something is going horribly wrong. I hope someone else has felt like that and can help me. They kept reassuring me it really wasn't that bad, that I would have sailed through if not for anemia and that with counts at 70 I'm going to feel like **** surgery or not.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Re: Complications - just got out after 5 days, need some support

Hi MimiM

Sorry you are going through complications .

I had TVH with repairs and I was still on pain meds at over two weeks. It should be fine to walk around (with someone there at first). The movement might help for BMs and help you gain strength and confidence.

I can understand you being afraid. You have just had major surgery and you have to take care. Complications just add to that. Being on the pain meds as well as antibiotics is going to make you feel worse as well. Antibiotics can really do a number on you if you end up with the side effects. I was on one recently that I had all the named side effects – nausea, headache, no appetite, etc, etc, etc,

Hopefully you will really start to improve now that you are home and the antibiotics do their job. Six days is really not very long.

If you are worried about anything, don’t hesitate to contact your Dr with your questions. Lots of support here too!!!!

Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 07-24-2010, 11:59 AM

I'm sorry you're not feeling good. You'll hear this time and again on this site: everyone heals at different speeds. Despite this, do not forget that you just had major surgery, along with some complications, so it's perfectly natural to feel like you've been beat up. My best advice is to sleep as much as possible, drink lots and lots of fluid (water preferably), take walks whenever possible and don't worry. Your body heals as you sleep, so take advantage of it!!

I hope you feel better soon. Don't hesitate to call your doctor if you have any questions. Good luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2010, 12:09 PM

Hi MimiM,

So sorry about your difficulties!! Hugss to you!!

Recovery is different with each person regardless of the procedure, add to that your complications, you are probably doing great right now! Like Susan (sblaw99) mentioned rest is good, it helps heal. Walk as much or as little as you feel each day.

If it were me, i would start taking the stool softeners again. I have been off and on with them too. Some medications can cause you to have loose and some constipate. It's all a balancing act!

Again, feel free to call your Dr. office with any questions/concerns.

And, always but not least Pamper the Princess!!

Hugzzz
Susan
Unread 07-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Thinking of you and sending well wishes your way. You are bound to feel yucky layiing around that long plus with all of your complications.
Try to get some short walks in a couple of times a day . I think they help in so many areas...energy, bowel movements, mood, healing, etc.

Keep you dr. on speed dial should you have questions.

This site can be very encouraging. Count on your sisters when the going gets tough.

Hugs to you!!
Unread 07-24-2010, 02:00 PM

Hi Mimi
Keep your chin up, it will get better. Keep positive thoughts. Recovery is different for everyone and we are all here to help!
Unread 07-24-2010, 03:00 PM

i had TAH but ther than that our situations seam simial , Im 29 and fit , my bladder had become attached to my uterus so I had bladder surgery at the same time and was cathed for 7 ! days it was horrible , I was also on Marcobid i demanded it from the 2nd day I did not want to get a UTI so they ahd me on as aprevenative , also detrol to stop bladder spasms and something else that made my pee red and orange ( not sure the name ) plus pain med and lorazipam ..it does make you feel like you are on a scary amount of Medication , but its not unusuall to be on so many , I am also still anemic waiting to see if my blood count will build with iron pills and time ...I completely know how you feel , and 6 days out is not very long I am in week 3 and still have alot of bad days the first 2 weeks were the worst .. but try not to worry it wont give you any answers to worry you just have to wait for you 2 week then you 6 week and take it one day at a time ( easier said than done I still get worried mostly about the vaginal cuff because its inside and I dont know how its doing .. I look forward to my 6 week to find out ) try to relax and take it easy good luck
Unread 07-24-2010, 03:25 PM

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Hang in there. My MD had to remind me that even though it doesn't look like it from the outside, I had major surgery. Remember that time will heal all wounds.
i experienced the BM rollercoaster the first 2 weeks. It SUCKED. One day it's loose, the next, you can't have one. No one told me what the bowel issues were going to be. It was worse than the surgery. I joked w/ my MD. I told him he should of told me I would be awakened at 2 am and have such incredible pain that I would be grabbing the counter and towel rack while trying to go!!!! He laughed. The good news is that it gradually gets better as you go off pain meds and start to eat your regular diet again.
Unread 07-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Again, as everyone has said, we all heal at our own pace.

I've called the doctor 3x in the last week because of bleeding issues which are getting heavier not lighter & they didn't start until wk. 2 and with cramps so bad I thought I might be giving birth!

Oh! BM's are the WORST. I take stool softeners 1 day & it's too loose, then forget the next day & the pain is excruciating.

Keep your chin up & don't forget we all seem to be going through the same thing at different times and that you have MANY, MANY sisters!
Unread 07-24-2010, 04:21 PM

I just wonder if it is normal to start bleeding as the vaginal stitches start to dissolve? Makes sense to me since several women have commented on this. my started on day 10 as well. Hang in there everyone. This too shall pass.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register