Having surgery 3/21/02 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having surgery 3/21/02 Having surgery 3/21/02

Unread 03-09-2002, 07:30 AM
Having surgery 3/21/02

Hi everyone. I am new to the group. My aunt referred me here because she had surgery a year ago. I am really stressed out. I have been having horrible headaches and haven't been sleeping well since I was told last week when my surgery is going to happen. Does anyone have any suggestions that will help with the stress and worries of everything bad will happen? My husband is really worried about me and thinks I need to see the doctor about this. We have three children and they are all being wonderful about this. But me, on the other hand, I am a nervous wreck. If anyone has any suggestions please write back before my husband carts me off to the doctor for being so stressed with migraines. I know it's just my nerves.
The reason for my hysterectomy is due to having severe endometriosis. <spelling>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 10:05 AM
Welcome! Hugs!!

Hi, TGalvin! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site for support and comfort and info! That's wonderful your aunt referred you here, since I'm sure she found support when she had her hyst. Hope she is doing well. This is major surgery, and it is a very personal surgery for a woman, so it's understandable that we feel emotional and stressed about it. Even if you didn't plan on having any more children, it is losing something that is part of being a woman. However, most of us feel so much better and healthier after a hyst. and just as feminine as before. (In my case, the estrogen made me feel even more feminine--and now I really don't miss my uterus or ovaries at all!) Read all you can here at HysterSisters--pull down menus on the home page with sisters' stories and pre op advice, etc. Then post any questions or comments you have. You can do a "search" by going to the top of the page to that purple button and typing in whatever subject you're interested in (like endometriosis)and reading past threads. Also you can check out the "Aching Hearts" board where women talk about their grieving and feelings of loss. And you can join the live chat group. I think after you've been around HysterSisters, you will start to feel calmer and begin to be prepared for your hyst. It is overwhelming at first, so ask your dr for an Rx for anxiety if you feel you need it. We'll be here to see you through the whole esperience. s and best wishes!
Unread 03-09-2002, 12:52 PM
Having surgery 3/21/02

Hi T, welcome to Hyster Sisters!

This site saved my sanity...I thought I was obsessing and I cried when I found this site because I have no one that has been through this!

Try not to stress out too much. Why don't you call the doctor and tell him your fears? Sounds like you are human and normal! I know I was stressing out and getting anxious over the 7 days I had to wait.

It's great that your hubby thinks you should call the doctor, why? Because he cares! Great for recovery, you need that!!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 07:45 AM
Having surgery 3/21/02

Hey Tammy,

Glad you made it here. The advice you've gotten is good. Read everything you can here and you'll not only find you're not alone, but you will also get lots of help to ease your fears.

I hope you can get back to eating good foods so you will be in good shape for your surgery.

One thing I forgot to mention is you should get some elastic waist pants or straight dresses (with no waist band). Anything tight will be uncomfortable for the first few weeks. I wore flannel pants! Not too practical for you in CA, but they were great here. I also wore shapeless denim jumpers (you probably saw a couple of them in SD last year!) They are comfortable and hide that swelly belly problem!

Just try to think about 6 weeks in the future when you'll be feeling SO much better than you are now.

Love ya!

In case the rest of you haven't guessed, I'm the aunt who recommended she come here
Unread 03-10-2002, 08:54 AM
Having surgery 3/21/02

((((Tammy))))~~ You have a wonderful Aunt that I feel very fortunate to have met here at hystersisters and continue to talk with at BEST Sisters weight loss group. I am really happy to be able to meet you also, although I wish it were under better circumstances!! I had my hysterectomy in June of last year (9 months ago) and I must admit I was a nervous wreck waiting for the day to come. I had second guessed myself a billion times thinking that maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought and I had just over-reacted to the pain and afterall everyone has heavy bleeding now and again so it is normal (but I knew that it really ISN'T normal and the pain WAS really that bad) Looking back now, I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions that I ever made for myself!!! The Best advice I can give to you right now is it read everything you can get your hands on and ask as many questions as you can to everyone and anyone. The best defense I know for anxiety is finding the answers to your fears. I am a fanatic about planning things so it helped me to focus on what I wanted to get done before my surgery. I cooked and froze lots of meals for my DH and DS, I stocked up on everything I could think of. I had lots of paper products on hand to ease the burden on DH for washing dishes (I don't have the luxury of a dish washer) I got my house and yard in order and shopped for things I wanted to take with me to the hospital.

Some of the things you may want to consider having ready for the hospital stay are: slippers, robe, several night shirts, tummy pillow, magazines, mints, lotion, gas-x, pads, tooth brush, tooth paste, hair brush, shampoo, soap, conditioner, list of phone numbers of friends and family, paper and pen, change for vending machines and or phones, and a comfortable loose fitting outfit to wear home.

Having a hysterectomy is a really big deal, and it is very scary!!! Please know that we are here anytime day or night for you whenever you need us. Hang in there, and by all means if you think your Dr. can help out with easing your headaches and calm down some of your anxiety you should definatly call them! You deserve to feel good!!!!!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!

Take Care, Dawn
Unread 03-10-2002, 10:45 AM
Having surgery 3/21/02

Hi Tammy,

You've been given some good advice here so far. We all know about the stress you're feeling. All the questions and the "what ifs". Just bring the questions here and the ladies will help if they can. There's no reason why you shouldn't call your dr and let him know how you're feeling. The drs are used to it, believe me.

Take a deep breath and remember that you will get through this.

Unread 03-10-2002, 03:30 PM
Having surgery 3/21/02

Hi Tammy,

Sending big hugs your way.

I had a TAH/BSO about 14 weeks ago, primarily because of stage 4 endo. So I've been there. And I was stressed out and could not think of anything but this surgery for weeks prior.

Talking to DH and a couple of close friends and posting here helped me stay sane. My poor DH really got to hear me venting all my fears. And hystersisters posts always calmed me too. Another thing I did was borrow a CD that was a pre-surgical relaxation CD ... this was helpful too (can't remember the name). I know it is very difficult, but try to keep positive ... thoughts create reality. We'll be here for you, every step of the way.

Beth
Unread 03-10-2002, 03:31 PM
read read read

To be nervous is the norm, I'd imagine your husband would worry about you if you were too calm about it all as well. As others have posted, my suggestion is to keep reading. Read all you can about your upcoming surgery. This site will help you understand just about everything you are about to go through, and what to expect. As well as things to talk to your doctor about. For me, the more I understood my surgery, the less nervous I became. I won't say I was cool as can be ... I was just better able to accept everything.

Read, formulate some questions, and have a chat with your Doctor.

I never thought I would think the decision to have a hyst. would be the best one I ever made, but your aunt is right ... when all is said and done, 3 months later, I am thinking that very thing.

BSQ
Unread 03-10-2002, 05:33 PM
Having surgery 3/21/02

Hi Tammy - I know exactly how you feel. I just found out 2 weeks ago I have to have hyst on April 2. For days it was all I thought about. I walked around in a fog and was close to panic! One day last week I stumbled onto this site and it has saved my sanity! I knew nothing about this subject. I felt better after a day or 2 of reading all I can on this site. Good luck to you on your crowning day. I'll look forward to reading your post-op posts for some hints and tips.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register