Not enjoying recovery at all!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not enjoying recovery at all!!! Not enjoying recovery at all!!!

Unread 09-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Not enjoying recovery at all!!!

Okay so no one enjoys surgery recovery, but this has been so much worse than other surgeries I have had.

Had a TAH on 6/22/07, had internal bleeding and hematocrit dropped to dangerous levels so they watched me intently for about 48 hours luckily the bleeding stopped, and they sent me home 06/25/07, next night I got a fever and went back to the hospital with an infection in the areas where the blood had seeped (there was no pockets of infection it was just all the tissues that t he blood had gone to - and if you had seen the bruise you would know that was a lot of tissue.)

Spent the next 10 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics (forgot which kind) blew out 5 iv's and had to get a pic line. Finally was released
on July 6th, by July 8th I was home alone taking care of myself because my Mom was the only who could take me, and months before my surgery was ever scheduled, she had bought plane tickets for my niece and nephew to come visit for a couple of weeks.

Thought I was doing okay, but now we're talking 10 weeks post-op and I feel like crap, tired all the time but can't sleep without sleep medicine, would still be taking pain killlers if my surgeon realized how much pain I was in (still have moments where it strikes me so bad I can't move and I start crying), and I live on the third floor of my apartment (no elevators - built before that was a law) and everyday it is a major feat to make it up the stairs, my legs feel like they were injected with cement or something to make them heavy.

Had to go back to work at 8 weeks, they were upset when I told them 6 weeks, cause every one seems to know someone who recovered in 4 weeks, then they were angry when I told them 8 weeks. And quite frankly I couldn't afford to continue living on 50% pay, so I told my Doctor I had to go back and she reluctantly signed off on that.

I had an appendectomy 6 years ago and only needed 4 weeks off, had a laparectomy 12 years ago, and then I would have only needed 4 weeks off. I am not understanding why this one is soooo much worse (I expected a little worse).

Anyway I feel whiney and no one understands that this is my whole life right now (I realize that eventually I will not think about it, but right now I can't think of anything else).

Thanks for listening but more importantly thanks for understanding. Any advice on coping with the recovery would be great!

Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Not enjoying recovery at all!!!

I know how you feel!
This was my 10th surgery. I ended up with an open, infected incision. I then had to go to a treatment centre daily to have the hole irrigated, packed and bandage. Everyday - pulling the tape off, poking in there!
My recovery was delayed too. I had to go back to work at 6 weeks because of $$ as well, but my dr recommended 12! I just couldn't afford it.
Now I still get aches/twinges where the hole was and I'm getting more menopause symptoms (still have one ovary but it might not be working).
It can be a very draining, depressing recovery.
I tried to visit with someone each day, even if only on the phone and my recovery was an off-limits topic! We could talk about anything not related.
Also, getting out each day even if only to the treatment centre forced me to shower and dress every day and I know that helped.
Just know you're not alone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register