Total hysterectomy & removal of ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Total hysterectomy & removal of ovaries Total hysterectomy & removal of ovaries

Unread 08-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Total hysterectomy & removal of ovaries

My surgeries is Sept 5. I am very nervous about it. Haven't had much time to digest it all. I'm 47 and pretty much on my own. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Re: Total hysterectomy & removal of ovaries

Hi BBLaubach to HysterSisters!

Your emotions are very normal - this is one tough surgery to contemplate and process. Digesting what is about to happen takes time. I know you feel overwhelmed right now. We are here for you, and will be by your side throughout this.

This is MAJOR SURGERY, as I am sure you are aware. You will be very, very tired for several weeks after your surgery. You will need help with things around the house such as cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. Can a neighbor or friend stop by and help? Maybe someone from church, if you attend one? You might want to prepare meals and put them in the freezer for dinners. Lunches can be just the frozen meals from the grocery store, and breakfasts can be simple...yogurt, oatmeal, etc.

You also might want to get some loose fitting, comfy clothes to wear. I spent 12 weeks in sweats and old shorts.

You will need to take time off work. How long depends on your surgery, how fast you recover, your job, and a multitude of unpredictable factors. BUT, you should plan on several weeks. You will only be able to SLOWLY move back into your life. Just listen to your body, and rest, rest, rest.

You might want to review the following pages:
Pre-Op Hysterectomy
Post-Op Hysterectomy

Always know that you are not alone - never on this site.

Unread 08-26-2013, 07:40 PM

Processing what was happening was the hardest. I found out on June 19th I was having my hysterectomy, was referred over to a GYN/ONC, saw her for the first time on July 2nd, and was in surgery July 24th. Things moved very fast, and up until I got my call from the castle on what time to arrive I tried not to think of it much. Once I got the call, I kinda lost it. Then realized it was meant to be. I'm 34, our youngest is 11, and I knew if I didn't have my surgery (final staging was "serous borderline ovarian cancer") that I could potentially leave my kids without a mom and my husband a widower. I'm almost 5 weeks post op and almost feeling 100% back to normal. It takes time, cause God knows I had a tough couple of weeks, but I'm glad to be finally feeling better. Right now I'm working on building my stamina and energy. But it is getting better and better every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM

My TAH is on the 4th. I am 43 and have a super supportive husband. I consider myself very lucky. I hope you really aren't as alone as you think you are! At least you have moral support here. Hope your surgery goes well!
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Thank you everyone!
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM

I too am having a complete hysterectomy on Sept 5th. Not so much nervous of the surgery more of the recovery and my change in my body.
Unread 08-27-2013, 03:31 PM

BBlaubach I will think good thoughts for you. Are you staying overnight or going home the same day. I would suggest planning on getting your "space" ready early. Have a few light meals pre-made and have a selection of movies and books lined up. From what I am told, the big thing is to make sure that you get up and move a little bit every hour. Do NOT stay immobile. You will only feel worse. Moving will get your bowels going and also help get rid of the gas from the CO2. Plus it helps prevent blood clots. Also, you aren't alone. You have all of us at Hystersisters for support!

I am scheduled for TAH BSO on the 6th. My doctor says the surgery will be less than an hour and I am scheduled to go home the same day. I have to admit that I am a little nervous. I work as a nurse in an ER and we only see the bad outcomes... it would be great to hear from someone that did this and was "fine". Fine being relative of course. I would just like to hear about someone without complications. I have had 4 abd surgeries already so I have to think this should be a walk in the park compared to them since it is Dual port laparoscopic. Anyone have positive things to say to BBlaubach and myself?
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:05 PM

I will be staying over night for my surgery. I have someone to stay and help me out while I recover but I have no real support system. I have tried talking to family members but just get brushed off. I thank everyone here for there support.
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:18 PM

I'm "single with cats." My family all lives in various parts of the States. I did most of my recovery on my own, and it worked out pretty well. Before I left for the hospital, I stocked up on groceries and toiletries, scrubbed the apartment, did lots of laundry and sprayed all the windows with silicone lubricant so that they'd be easier to open. I also bought lots of pillows and built a day nest in my living room.

I had surgery in another city and was there three days. I arranged with my upstairs neighbour to look after my cats while I was gone and with a friend who lives in the other city to drive me home when I was released. During recovery, I had a deal on with the same neighbour that if I needed help and couldn't make it to the phone, I would pound on the wall. As it turned out, I never needed to do that, but it was good to have a back-up plan. My neighbour also said to let her know if I needed groceries, meds, etc. but I never did. A lot of my friends and co-workers stopped by with food they'd made or bought, which was great of them! :-)

I had a pretty smooth recovery. It was nice being able to nap when and where I wanted to and eat when and what I wanted to without having to explain to anyone. I went for lots of short walks and hung out in the sun with my cats - it was quite relaxing!
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
I'm "single with cats." My family all lives in various parts of the States. I did most of my recovery on my own, and it worked out pretty well. Before I left for the hospital, I stocked up on groceries and toiletries, scrubbed the apartment, did lots of laundry and sprayed all the windows with silicone lubricant so that they'd be easier to open. I also bought lots of pillows and built a day nest in my living room.

I had surgery in another city and was there three days. I arranged with my upstairs neighbour to look after my cats while I was gone and with a friend who lives in the other city to drive me home when I was released. During recovery, I had a deal on with the same neighbour that if I needed help and couldn't make it to the phone, I would pound on the wall. As it turned out, I never needed to do that, but it was good to have a back-up plan. My neighbour also said to let her know if I needed groceries, meds, etc. but I never did. A lot of my friends and co-workers stopped by with food they'd made or bought, which was great of them! :-)

I had a pretty smooth recovery. It was nice being able to nap when and where I wanted to and eat when and what I wanted to without having to explain to anyone. I went for lots of short walks and hung out in the sun with my cats - it was quite relaxing!
Thank you. It's nice too hear from someone who has had to go thru the process more or less by themselves.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register