? about numbness | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? about numbness ? about numbness

Unread 08-01-2006, 11:08 AM
? about numbness

I had my surgery Mar of this year, so it has been 4 months. I am still numb below my belly button but above the incision. Is this normal? Does it ever get better? Will this be something I am stuck with forever? I tend to smash that area (against counter, etc) and dont even realize it...I mean that all of a sudden it hurts and then I realize I am smashing my tummy. Also, is there anything I can do to make it better?

ttfn
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2006, 11:54 AM
? about numbness

same way for me. Numb from belly button to incision, and just the middle part of stomach. Feels weird to lean against something. Some have said could take up to a year to go away, I work with a lady that says her's has not gone away from C-sections 16 years ago!!
Unread 08-01-2006, 01:45 PM
numbness

My friend had her TAH 16 years ago and the area you are speaking about stayed numb. I had stiches in my had 20 years ago and have no feeling on the fatty under side of my left hand. For me I just want the sharp pains on my right side to go away.

Janet TAH BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2006, 02:21 PM
? about numbness

Hiya. Boy, am I glad I stumbled onto this site. I, too, have numbness from the belly button down. But I also have numbness on the front of my right thigh. Weird feeling! I am only in week 4 of post op but am hoping that feeling will come back.
Great to meet you all.
Unread 08-01-2006, 02:23 PM
? about numbness

My 1 year hysterversary is Sept 8th. I have been able to feel my tummy now for about 2 months. Give it a little while, for me it took 9 months..

stacey
Unread 08-01-2006, 02:50 PM
? about numbness

After my c-section 12 years ago, I stayed numb in that area for 7 years. I still remember the initial shock of realizing it was numb. I have heard that it goes away in about a year for some women. Unfortunately, I never took care of my belly pouch back then becasue I was so disgusted that I was numb. I had a vertical incision this time and there is absolutely no numbness. I wonder if it always gets numb with horizontal cuts? Does anyone know?
Unread 08-01-2006, 02:55 PM
? about numbness

Hi Ladies,
I also am still numb, but at the moment its a blessing, i have winter here and its a great hand warmer....
Unread 08-01-2006, 03:03 PM
What?

Did you say Winter? I hope you have a big house because all of us are coming to visit you. Here in the States we are reaching over the 100 degree mark. In NYC it is 101.

janet
Unread 08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
? about numbness

Interesting, my boss had a hysterectomy about 8 yrs ago, and she claims her stomach is still numb. She too had a bikini incision.I have my pap test scheduled for Friday, and I'll try to remember to ask him about why the bikini cut keeps the numbness, while the vertical doesn't.
Unread 08-01-2006, 05:45 PM
? about numbness

I have had two c-sections prior to this surgery and both times the numbness lasted a long, long time. My hysterectomy was two weeks ago tomorrow so the numbness is back again. It eventually went away and as long as nothing was infected and it didn't hurt, it wasn't something that bothered me. Of course I had three small children so I was also very busy.
That's my experience anyway. If it really bothers you then by all means talk to your doctor to rule out any real problem, but it seems to be a very common occurrence.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register