TAH extreme fatigue and feeling weak | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

extreme fatigue and feeling weak extreme fatigue and feeling weak

Unread 01-05-2012, 10:22 AM
extreme fatigue and feeling weak

Hi Sisters

Yesterday I posted that I was feeling better but just tired.
Well today is a different story. Im on my third week post op
and yesterday I went on a job interview then came home and slept for a few hours as I was tired, got up did a few things around the house, by early evening i was so sleepy and went to bed, slept the whole night and was drowsy early morning got up had breakfast and then could not keep my
eyes open and had to go back to bed for a couple of hours
then woke up took a shower but was feeling so weak tired
and exhausted. Has this happened to anyone and should I call my doctor or not be concerned. I feel a bit lightheaded
however one of the surgeons said i was anemic but my dr.
doesnt think to much of it and doesnt even suggest iron supplements because they will be constipating. Should i get bloodwork to test iron levels? My Dr. didnt suggest it but says if i want it he will order them. Not sure.
Thanks for any suggestions.

hugs,

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Re: extreme fatigue and feeling weak

I felt better at 2 weeks than I did at 3 weeks. I've had several times that I've needed to sleep all day, and then all night, too. If you had your hysterectomy because of excessive bleeding, then you may low on iron. If it were me, I'd get the bloodwork to put my mind at ease.
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Agreed. I almost felt like I was on a high the first couple of weeks - didn't need painkillers, didn't need naps, could walk several blocks without feeling weak. Now I am treasuring those naps and cancelling some of my outside commitments. Last night was "date night" and I didn't like telling DH I needed to stay home (over 3 wks post-op) but I really didn't feel up to it - and had no appetite whatsoever.

Speaking of appetite - getting the right nutrition is so important right now. I stocked up on Ensure for those times when I really don't want to eat a full lunch or dinner. I combine it with something else, like a bran muffin, so my digestive system doesn't get confused and my body has fuel to heal itself.

Rest is also a big part of healing; of course mention it to your doctor. At least you are not struggling with insomnia right now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 01:45 PM

Three weeks post-op is still early days. I think it is easy to overdo it, because you do feel better than during the first two weeks. Really focus on the fact that the first six weeks are a time for rest and recovery. They are not for doing major things like job interviews.
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:58 PM

I am also 3 weeks out. Felt great the first two weeks. But then this week slept most of Tues and Wed and spent the rest of the days on the couch. My body feels like it is doing a lot of knitting together this week. I am eating so much spinach I feel like Popeye. My chiro also suggested lots of cruciferous veggies, broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc to help with hormone balance.
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM

I became a napping queen! I would have days I felt great and lots of energy and then CRASH! Tired doesn't begin to describe it. This went on until a couple of weeks ago. Even today, I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open.

Anemia can certainly cause this, too. The hospital did pre-op and post-op blood work on me and gave me the results. Your surgeon could be right, but your doctor is also correct, the iron is constipating.

I think I would want to know, one way or the other. Get the blood work and see where you are at with the iron. If you are really low, you can continue the stool softeners while you take the iron. Always better safe than sorry.

Feel better soon!
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:01 PM

I'm also 3 weeks post op. I have days of ups and downs. One day I feel better and seem to wanna go. Then other days I can't keep my eyes open. I've slept for days at a time pretty much lol. I haven't been feeling very well the last couple days so I put myself on bed rest till the pains s
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM

'm also 3 weeks post op. I have days of ups and downs. One day I feel better and seem to wanna go. Then other days I can't keep my eyes open. I've slept for days at a time pretty much lol. I haven't been feeling very well the last couple days so I put myself on bed rest pretty much till the pains calm down a bit.
I wish you the best. Sorry I don't have better answers for you. *hugs* and god bless!
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahAlb View Post
Hi Sisters

Yesterday I posted that I was feeling better but just tired.
Well today is a different story. Im on my third week post op
and yesterday I went on a job interview then came home and slept for a few hours as I was tired, got up did a few things around the house, by early evening i was so sleepy and went to bed, slept the whole night and was drowsy early morning got up had breakfast and then could not keep my
eyes open and had to go back to bed for a couple of hours
then woke up took a shower but was feeling so weak tired
and exhausted. Has this happened to anyone and should I call my doctor or not be concerned. I feel a bit lightheaded
however one of the surgeons said i was anemic but my dr.
doesnt think to much of it and doesnt even suggest iron supplements because they will be constipating. Should i get bloodwork to test iron levels? My Dr. didnt suggest it but says if i want it he will order them. Not sure.
Thanks for any suggestions.

hugs,

Sarah
I'm sorry Sarah. I had surgery on Dec 15th and I was seriously anemic going into the surgery but one of the main reasons for it was to finally stop the anemia (which was to the point of debilitating my quality of life). I've been eating iron rich foods since surgery and am not feeling that tired. It does not sound like you overdid it.......I have read (here) that week 3 can be a rough one. I had a terrible time earlier this week for a couple days.

Maybe your body just needs to rest a bit more. (?) If your doc does not think you need to check your iron levels, I'd just focus on eating iron rich foods and listening to your body.

Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register