urodynamics testing for bladder repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

urodynamics testing for bladder repair urodynamics testing for bladder repair

Unread 05-08-2002, 08:23 AM
urodynamics testing for bladder repair

Hello ladies,
This is to all of you who may have to go through bladder testing before your hyst due to any type of urinary incontinence.
I leak sometimes when I sneeze or cough. The first test was today. I drank 32 oz of water, then peed into a "hat" container that measured how much I urinated. Also had to time how long it took me to empty my bladder. Then I was swabbed with iodine and a cath was inserted. This is to see if you really have emptied out your bladder. To my surprise I filled a small cup once I was cathed. That part wasn't TOO bad and then they used the same cath to do a "bladder wash" with a saline solution. The saline helps collect bladder cells and they can test that for cancer or other infections. That was a bit uncomfortable. Like I had to go REALLY bad. Whole procedure was about 10 minutes long. I burned the first couple of times I urinated following that. Now I have a container at home to pee in. I chart how much I drink, when I urinate, how much I urinate and if I have any leaking episodes what I was doing when it happened. This is just for the day. Next week I go in for a test again. Cathed and saline in trickled into my bladder until I can't hold it anymore. This is to see how much my bladder holds. It wasn't painful but a bit uncomfortable.
Good luck to all of you who have this test!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2002, 08:51 AM
Tracy,

That test sounds yucky! I'm sorry you had to go through all of that.

But just think, in a couple of more weeks, all the tests, all the problems, all the stress will be over.

Hang in there, Hyster Buddy. We'll make it through together.

Lisa

Unread 05-08-2002, 05:56 PM
I had it done too.

I went through a similar version of urodynamics testing. I was also asked to come with a full bladder (ouch!!) Taken to the room expecting an adjacent bathroom. WRONG! there was a portable potty chair with a bowl under it sitting a what looked like a scale hooked to a computer. After doc punched a few keys on the computer I was instructed to pee then get on exam table (he and nurses left room for that). I was hooked up to a computer for the rest of it which included measuring what was left in the bladder and then filling it up again until I felt like I needed to go so bad that, as the doc put it, I would be willing to knock down a little old lady who was waiting in line to use the bathroom. This computer measured everything including electical impulses. I was wired for sound. The outcome is that the doc now knows exactly how to approach my incontinence problem. He is doing a sling procedure for that along with a TVH, RSO, A&P repair, "and any other procedures he may need to do depending what he finds when he gets in there". I think we should be happy they are taking the time to do this. I much prefer this to the thought of wearing a diaper from the age of 38 on...

Hang in there. It's embarrasing and uncomfortable but well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2002, 06:28 PM
urodynamic test

Tracy,
I also had this test and glad to say I passed with flying colors! I really don't have a problem with incontinence but do have a cystocele. My MD just wanted to be sure I didn't need a bladder repair also done while he is in there doing my hystorectomy.
I had this test done too. They actually had my empty my bladder in the bathroom and then I went into the room for the procedure. The nurse had me undress from the waist down and sit in the chair with on opening in the seat for the water/pee to drain into if needed. The nurse had instructed me that the MD would require three responces. The first being "I'm aware there is something in my bladder". The second response was "I would normally go to the bathroom and empty my bladder at this point." The last response was "TURN THAT THING OFF!!" Inserting an IV tube (to introduce the sterile water) and probe to messure pressure into my urethra wasn't bad. They also put one in my rectum to measure pressure there and also had a slow drip of water there. Other than the water being cold by comparison to my body temp. it wasn't uncomfortable. So Tracy, if the saline hurt last time maybe they will be using water for this procedure. As they were raising the chair up in the air and tilting it back I told them "Hah, just like a ride at Marine World" (nearby amusement park). The nurse not missing a beat said, "Yeah, a water splash ride"! My older typically old school Chinese MD just smiled and shook his head. I wish I had read about this before I had it. I wasn't terribly nervous but like most of us it's the fear of the unknown.
Unread 05-09-2002, 03:58 AM
More tests

I too am grateful that at least this test is available. I was having an off day yesterday and didn't mean to sound like a whiner. It wasn't bad, just uncomfortable and the room was freezing so the saline was of course cold! I figure while he's in there, fix EVEYTHING so I won't have to do it again. The reason I posted this procedure is because when I went looking for a detailed explanation, I couldn't find one. I was hoping to help some other ladies with the fear of the unknown. I really am sorry if I sounded ungrateful for the test having to be done.
I am having one more thest,,,the one where you tell them you REALLY have to go NOW! I think it's just water this time. Also wondering if possible the iodine might have stung a bit. Please ladies, this is not a PAINFUL test. Just a bit uncomfortable as an cath process would be. I still recommend having it done if your DR advises it.
Hugs to all!
Unread 05-09-2002, 09:54 AM
I'm sorry

Tracy,
I am so sorry. I hope I didn't make you feel like a whiner or ungrateful for the test. That was not my intenton at all! I even reread your post to see if I got that impression the second time reading it through, and I did not. I was just so sorry that your procedure was painful and relating my experience. I also wanted you to know that they may not use saline for the next test and it sounds like you are already aware of that. I hope that it goes better for you next time and mention that the Iodine may have irratated you. As you probably know many people are allergic to it and they must have an alternate in that case. The other thing is that each of us is different with different reactions to things. There are so many variables that make an experience unique for each individual. I also had to keep track of what and when I drank and when and how much I urinated for 24 hours. I went to my daughters and had to take my measureing device with me. I was glad when that was done. Obviously, not that bad just a bother. You sure become aware of how much you drink and pee.
Unread 05-09-2002, 11:20 AM
Melanieh

Oh dear,
I didn't mean to imply that you made me feel bad. I AM grateful as you are for these test. It turns out that I had a problem that I wasn't aware of. These tests will save me from having to go in for another surgery. Just get it all done NOW! I am VERY aware of drinking and peeing. <grin> No, I wasn't aware that it will not be saline. Will it just be water then? My Mom mentioned that the iodine may have caused the burning sensation I had all day. Big dummy that I am, I should have come right home and taken a shower. I will mention the iodine possibly being an irritant. Something else my Mom pointed out <than goodness for her!> is that the office was SO cold that the saline was probablyy very cold too. Sometimes words don't come out right in these posts; at least not the same way they would come across in talking with someone real time. Please don't think you made me feel like a whiner. LOL..It feels good to whine sometimes. Thank you for all your helpful info. Next Weds is the next big test. I love the water ride comment from the nurse. Did you empty your bladder yourself or did they "drain" you once you said I have to GO!???
Unread 05-16-2002, 05:24 PM
Tracy

I was looking over my e-mails and realized I hadn't noticed that you had responded to my posting in response to your urodynamic test. I am so glad that I or even someone else didn't make you feel bad. That makes me feel better.
In answer to your question they used just sterile water hooked up to the IV drip to fill my bladder. Hopefully the saline was just for the first test they did for you. I thought it was funny that to force the water in faster they had used a blood pressure cuff around the bag of water and just pumped the bulb attatched to apply pressure to the bag. It was cold though, an odd sensation. I never got to the "turn that thing off" part. Once during the 24 hour measure the volumne of what you drink and when and how much you pee I had waited so long to go I measured it at aroung 700 cc. That day they stopped at 600 cc or so. They could tell that I was tolerating the water filling my bladder and just stopped the test. Since I was holding it so well they just had me walk to the bathroom which wasn't far.
I see your surgery is next Thursday the 23rd. I can't believe mine is next Monday. I just learned the date of my surgery on the 10th of this month. The days are going fast! Keep me in your thoughts and prayers and I'll do the same for you as long as I am awake enough to have coherent thoughts. LOL
Unread 05-17-2002, 03:31 AM
In my thoughts

Melanie,
I will be thinking of you on Monday. Thursday is right around the corner for me. I hope youa re able to stay very busy this weekend to help pass the time. Once your time gets clse, I think it seems to move faster! LOL Let us know how you do when you are able! Hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register