TAH One week post-op and doing pretty good | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One week post-op and doing pretty good One week post-op and doing pretty good

Unread 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
One week post-op and doing pretty good

My TAH BSO was on the 4th. I have heart issues with the electrical connections had some minor complications during recovery and spent the first day after surgery in the cardiac unit. They just wanted to observe me. My mom flew in to stay with me for a week and she and my husband spent the day with me. It helped with the anxiety. My husband spent the first night with me and mom spent the rest of the mights with me. On the 5th I was moved to the Women's Center. The care was more focused on the hysterectomy there which was nice. The gas was very bad and I did not get relief until 7th which was the day I went home. My stomach was so distended that the nurse took pity on me and called the doctor for some sort of relief. Walking was not helping. Doc said I could have a suppository for gas and I had almost immediate relief! But the three days of major gas were very painful. I now take a stool softener every day and a gas tablet. I have not had real problems since.
I came home the evening of the 7th and went straight to bed. The short car ride made me a bit queasy. The next morning was ok but now I have some very painful hemorrhoids. The doctor gave me permission to have a sitz bath with Epsom salts. That has helped along with creams. Bowls are still testy but doing better.
I tried to go off the pain meds this weekend but after one full day off I realized that was a mistake. I am back taking them but at a fourth of the dosage prescribed. That seems to be working for me. Not too much pain. I also have no bleeding although the doctor says I may see discharge and clots come out in the 7-10 day range. He also says my incision may start oozing but that has not happened yet either. I take showers but keep my back to the spray. The warm water helps with discomfort. I also use a heating pad on the incision to help with minor pain.
I do notice a buldge on the right side just above the incision. It is tender but the doctor says it will go down in time. It is probably fluid and may ooze out in a few days.
I am very tired and can only walk about 2 laps at a time around the house. However, stairs don't seem to pose any problems. I walked straight up them the might I came home and go up and down several times a day. Of course, I don't bound up and down them like I used to but I can walk slowly in a normal fashion with no pain.
Mom has left now and my husband is back to work. He brought up the small refrigerator from the garage tot the bedroom and also brought up the coffee pot. I am stocked for the day with cold items. He also comes home at lunch to fix me something hot. I am very spoiled, I have to say. Otherwise, I have my little dog to keep me company along with my hystersisters! I hope to go back to work at the beginning of March but will take it slow and see if I am able. I don't want to have any setbacks by trying to do too much too soon.
I will update more as time goes by. Not sure what to expect in the coming weeks but will just take it all one day at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register