Feeling Overwhelmed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling Overwhelmed Feeling Overwhelmed

Unread 09-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Feeling Overwhelmed

I went in this morning for all of my Pre-Op stuff. My surgery is Oct 1st. I am trying to freeze meals and get my house clean but today it all kind of sunk in. I am not really worried about the surgery itself since I have had to have numerous surgeries before but I am worried about being thrown into menopause so quick and at such a early age. I have help for the first week but after that I am on my own. I would love advice from anyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Re: Feeling Overwhelemed

Maybe its because its Monday... I say that because although I have actually listed hysterectomy as one of my dream procedures and have the date set- the FMLA papers submitted I found myself second guessing my decision. I too worry about menopause wondering if it will be worse than what I am experiencing now. I'm thinking you are probably younger than myself but maybe it will help knowing you aren't alone in your thoughts. As I got to thinking about my own situation I decided it was because it was a monday. (My surgery is 4 weeks from today and as the date gets closer I think wow 4 weeks from today at this time I will be... (insert whatever is applicable to that time- i.e. checking into the hospital, be in recovery etc etc) Hang in there. If you are really second guessing your decision get a second opinion. If it isn't the second guessing your decision but fear of the unknown just know you aren't alone... we are all in this together.

Good luck and hang in there. Watching others go through various surgeries I'm sure after a week you will be getting along better than you think you will be. There are always those 1 in a million cases but try not to think about all the what ifs and focus on getting better.
Unread 09-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Hang in there...it is great that you have help and are prepaired. I went and met with my Dr (12 hour drive to Mayo Clinic) and next morning I had surgery...surprise surprise. So getting ready is very helpful. Help is such a blessing. First week was very tough just getting up and down, going to bathroom, dressing, showering etc. So the second week seemed to be easier. However, it was the third week that hit like a truck. Maybe look for help with meals on the third week. I/we (on our thread) all found that the third week surprised us. We were on the mend...heading for the home stretch but wham...your so tired, new little quirks etc. I would suggest that you watch your food when recovering to avoid constipation. Have food on hand high in fiber and buy your stool softners so you have them on hand. Pain is different for everyone. I only used tylenol .... have over the counter stuff on hand that may be all you need. I have two couches in great room and wish so badly I had a recliner. After week three I asked my parents to borrow their recliner...but now I don't need it or use it (week 4) so having a comfy chair that is easy to get up and down out of is helpful. Hope this helps. Blessings. Hope you get all your ducks in a row.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2012, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the tips and the heads up. I had not heard that about week 3. Will be ready for it.
Unread 09-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Re: Feeling Overwhelmed

Just sending you a hug... im still waiting for my date, but am already anxious about the post op... Wishing u a speedy recovery
Unread 09-24-2012, 12:34 PM

Totally agree with Jackie2....just starting week 3 post op, but with all the advise I found on here, I have been taking it easy, so not too bad. Agree with the recliner or comfy chair....DH had an old recliner in his office he brought downstairs for me....made all the difference in the world.
Getting organized and planning the few weeks after my surgery really helped me stay focused and not worry about "the unknown". I had dinners ready, charts for who was picking up what kid wear, chores that were to be done that I normally did etc. It gave me a peace of mind and let me concentrate on myself post op.
Make sure you stock up on foods for yourself post op....jello, applesauce, baked potato, and fiber, yogurt or greek yogurt etc. Keep it bland as your innards are going to be very tender for awhile. I am just now starting to get some of my appetite back. Good Luck to you (sorry so long)!
Unread 09-24-2012, 04:52 PM

thanks for all the great advice mine is coming up too. Oct 18th, so it can be overwhelming to think to much about it, and I Have kids at home, my one sister may come down to help, but not sure yet. of the details I 'm glad someone said something about week 3 that is good to know...
please keep me in mind, thanks hyster sisters...
Hugs to all of you out there to and hang in there...
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:08 PM

Thank you everyone. Although I am nervous I am not having any doubts. I just still have so many questions and I hate not being in control over what happens lol. I am worried about the bleeding afterwards....the good news is that this is my very LAST period. YAY!!! To bad it thought it should be beyond heavy to make up for it .
My Pre-Op went well and I did get some questions answered so that helped reassure me. Everyone at hte hospital that I had to deal with was so nice.
Here is another question for you...are you having your husband spend the night with you?
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:18 PM

My date is Oct 17th......... And I have to teen boy's trying to explain to them what is going on is ok with me. However; they did not want hear anymore. I have been cooking up a storm and baking(which keeps me calm). I wish everyone could smell everything that is coming out of my house . YUM!!!
I will just have my boy's to help me and I am pretty sure they will not have a problem. I have ordered them some things that will come to the house while I am healing.
See you ladies on the otherside it will be sooner than you think!!!!!!
Unread 09-25-2012, 04:52 PM

Hi our dates are the same. This is all happening rather quickly for me and I have been wondering about the same thing. I've gone from my family doc, to my gyno to the gyno onco that will be doing the surgery and no one had mentioned hormones during all of this. I had an appt with my family doctor yesterday because she wants to keep on top of all that is going on and I expressed to her I was worried about. I asked her if I have to have hormones what DR does that and I still don't know. She said he hasn't mentioned it probably because of the mass they have to check while they are in there and surely I will have time to bring it up. I told her okay, I just didn't want to turn into a raging lunatic and run off my husband. That is what I worry about. So I have no clue when I get to ask about that stuff.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register