Path report normal... WHAT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Path report normal... WHAT? Path report normal... WHAT?

Unread 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Path report normal... WHAT?

I had a TVH Monday March 26th. I went to the dr about a year ago because I was bleeding 20 days out of a month with what looked like black tar and huge clots (felt like having a baby). I would have to change super plus tampon and a pad every hour to hour and a half for about 8 days a month. I would have cramps every day of the month but worse around my period. It felt like mild contractions all the time. They tried progesterone.. nothing. Birth control pills..nothing. I was finally taking birth control, stool softeners, aspirin to prevent clots, and about 15 to 20 ibuprofen a day for 6 months. My dr. did an ultrasound in December that sowed a slightly enlarged uterus that looked blood filled, and several functional cyst, and either a hemmoraghic cyst or endometrioma about 4 cm on my left ovary, and free fluid in the pelvic area. He suspected adenomyosis for sure and possibly endo. He said he would try a TVH but if was endo he would switch to TAH and remove ovaries. After surgery he said everything went great and I still was really medicated but knew he left my ovaries so I thought good no endo. Well th dr's office called today to tell me the path report came back normal. How could it be normal something was definitely wrong. I am going to try to get a copy of the path report tomorrow. I will be glad to not have month long periods but I have no insurance and was going to apply for retro medicaid after the surgery and they won't pay without a diagnosis. I am just really confused and slightly upset. Has anyone else had something like this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Re: Path report normal... WHAT?

I really didn't want a hyster and I did it was a last resort. I was told probable adenomyosis. I also had previous cervical dysplasia and my doc was unable to get a clear biopsy due to scarring. So I reluctantly had the surgery with the hope my pain would end and I would get rid of my precancerous cervix. I was extremely emotional post op and had a long recovery. I purposely didn't ask about my path report because I knew I couldn't deal with hearing it was normal. I went to see a doctor who was filling in for my GYN one day and she blurted out "oh and your pathology is normal" and I burst into tears. All I could think is I went through this for nothing? When my GYN returned I asked him and he said "it wasn't normal. You did have some adenomyosis. Which normally is within the range of normal but with your symptoms we consider that abnormal." my point is there is space for interpretation in the reports sometimes. You can ask your doc for a copy of your path report or obtain it from Medical Records at the hospital.
Unread 04-02-2012, 07:03 PM

What they mean by "normal" covers a lot of ground. They may have just meant something like no cancer. I think you need more info. Your report probably has something wrong in it since you had symptoms, is my guess, and your Dr should be able to help with your medicaid app. I know I got an inaccurate read when my Dr was out and another Dr did a quick look. You can get your own copy of the report, too. I wouldn't put too much into what they told you until you can get more info from your Dr and the report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Ok thank you that makes me feel a little better. The nurse tell me to make sure to make it to my follow up next week to talk with the doctor. I don't need anything else to make me emotional.
Unread 04-02-2012, 07:16 PM

I agree with the other two ladies. Normal can cover a lot of ground. My path report was normal but my doc said there was a lot of endometriosis. So talk to your doc and see what he says. There isn't a way for it to be totally normal if you have those symptoms. I have a feeling you will feel better after talking to him.
Unread 04-02-2012, 07:23 PM

By the way where else can you go vent and ask stupid questions and get complete emotional support. I love this website without it I would have went through all of this blinded and scared. By the way, I feel really good now. My cramps are minimal considering, only taking motrin 800 a couple of times a day. This weekend me and my husband bought flowers and he dug the holes and I sat on the ground helping plant them. That helped cheer me up and everytime I go outside all I see are my pretty colorful flowers. By the way, I have found the warm sunny days really uplifting and soothing. Thank all of you.
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:14 AM

When i heard normal i was relieved. I never took it as though everything was "normal" i just took it that there was no cancer. The ultrasounds, pictures and how i feel now prove that i was not normal inside. Please dont take it as a wasted procedure, you will feel so much better and will make it worth it.
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:15 AM

oh, and btw, there are no stupid questions. A question that one asks is sure to be in the mind of someone else..
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:48 AM

Normal often means no cancer. Adenomyosis is painful, nasty, and the only cure is hysterectomy. In pathology it's not cancer, and therefore "normal".
Unread 04-03-2012, 09:01 AM

I got a normal pathology report as well, my understanding was it meant no cancer, no precancer and no abnormal cells . I still had endo, uterus attached to abdominal wall, uterus full of scar tissue and weeks of annoying discharge from failed ablation and an ovary full of cysts... Things were not normal inside.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register